Ancient Zyliss drum grater

olwen, Jan 7, 8:33am
I have an ancient zyliss drum grater which I haven't used recently with a round suction pad base and a ton of drums for various uses.

Tonight watched Anabell Langbeim and decided to make hash browns.Decided that ancient zyliss was the best tool for the grating.But the suction pad didn't want to stick, so used new Kenwood food processor instead.The Kenwood puts big chunks into the bowl at the end of each spud.

Is there a source for replacement suction pads for the Zyliss?The engineering in this thing is super classy.

whitehead., Jan 7, 10:07am
if you look around the op shops you will find zyliss graters that have nothing wrong with them ,ive seen them often in fact ive sent one there about a month ago .ive had one for years that clamps to a table and i love it so much ive brought a table that i can screw it too good luck you will find them

charlieb2, Jan 7, 11:12am
olwen... just wanted to say 'hi' havent seen you about in ages!!

cookessentials, Jan 7, 2:08pm
I dont think there is anything available new through Zyliss. They still do a drum grater, but it has no suction pad.
Contact the distributor who will be able to tell you if they can get one or not.

DKSH New Zealand Limited

14c Omega Street

Albany

New Zealand

Ask for Frank McCue (09) 415 1096

olwen, Jan 7, 6:21pm
Thanks for the info.I found that there is a similar model still, but with a square rather than a round pad
http://www.zyliss.com/our-products/ProductDetails.aspx?Id=356&CategoryId=2

dezzie, Jan 7, 6:27pm
I've found that new benchtops are bad for any suction device, the house I'm in now doesn't have a stainless bench, and I have one of those apple peeler and corer gadgets (very good by the way for doing large amounts), and I got around the problem by sticking it to one of my large placemats.
I had one of those old zyliss choppers, they are great, I used my shredder blade on that to make marmalade, used to do a good job.

cookessentials, Jan 7, 7:54pm
Yes, but I am pretty sure it is not sold here. I have a pretty good idea of what is in my Zyliss catalogue. You could always ask DKSH if they intend to bring them in to NZ.

stu3, Jan 7, 8:43pm
Like you I love my 30 odd year old orange Zyliss and it also has given up the suction pad, so sad but still use it - just takes longer trying to hold and turn the handle. Crushes those biscuits beautifully for lolly cake, truffles etc

uli, Jan 8, 12:45am
I have an all metal zyliss grater since over 30 years and it clamps to the table. The more "modern" ones are with a suction pad - and I never really believed in those, as I wondered what happens if it breaks down? Surely the metal grater would last longer than that pad. The amount of machines I now see in op-shops makes me think I was right.

So see if some handy person can maybe drill a hole above the pad into the body of the grater - and then you can fit a clamp through the hole and clamp it onto the table.

lulu239, Jan 8, 2:51am
x1
Actually, I have 2 of the metal Zyliss graters. I have had one for years and then found one on Trade Me.I have found with the older one that the drums are getting a wee bit worn when it comes to doing cabbage for cole slaw. If I saw another one, I would get it like a shot. I lost the little lever on the side but luckily had the other to fall back on.

olwen, Jan 8, 3:03am
I have more than one body.I think mine is a similar vintage to the clamp type (I'd buy a clamp one like a shot it I saw one).It's around 25 years since I bought the first 2nd hand from a garage sale on Parnell Road.Converting to a clamp is a great idea.I'll look and see what I could use.

olwen, Jan 8, 5:15am
Yes, mine is like yours.As I have 2 bodies I'll have a play with it some time.I think I may have a clamp that will work.

uli, Jan 13, 12:06pm
Good luck!