Courgettes .... what to do with them?

Page 1 / 3
brownscows, Jan 5, 4:22am
I have lots of courgettes ready, am running out of ideas to use them. Anyone have any ideas pleae?

millenium1, Jan 5, 4:35am
They have to be one of the most useful vegetables. Lovely in curries.
Savoury muffins, stuffing for chicken, mix with mayo or aioli just to have as a sandwich filling. Deep fried with cheese sauce, bbq'd, in salads. I even just eat them like an apple.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 5, 5:16am
I'll watch this thread with interest. Right now my green courgette plant is all male flowers and no fruit, but I hope it won't be long before I'm in the happy position of poster #1

delate, Jan 5, 5:22am
I split them down the middle, and wrap bacon around them and peaches then bake in the peaches juice.

prawn_whiskas, Jan 5, 6:05am
I like to pick mine when they are about half the size that you see them in the veggie shops.. then I shave them raw into ribbons with the veggie peeler into a bowl, then rip in some basil or flat leaf parsley then dress with lots of good olive oil, fresh ground pepper, a little bit of salt, and acid of choice - lemon juice, red wine vinegar, ACV etc - mix with fingers and pile on plate.Some times I crumble over some feta or other soft cheese.

I do not like them cooked at all so they make a wonderful change to leaf salads.

molly37, Jan 5, 6:06am
Quiche, fry up with onions and tomatoes. Courgette grated in a savoury slice is nice and courgette cake is nice and moist like carrot.

cookessentials, Jan 5, 6:12am
I love them steamed and a little frshly ground salt and pepper. You can make the courgette and bacon crustless quiche which is lovely, courgette chocolate cake and perhaps some pickles etc.

floralsun, Jan 5, 6:42am
They're nice grilled or bbq'd too.. brush with a little oil if you want.. or make a courgette cake:

1/ Alison Holst's ZUCCHINI/COURGETTE CHOCOLATE CAKE
125g butter
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup yoghurt
2½ cups flour
¼ cup cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp each of salt and mixed spice
3 cups grated zucchini/courgettes
½-1 cup chocolate bits/chips/dots

Using an electric mixer or food processor beat the butter, with the sugars, until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, with a spoonful of the flour to prevent curdling. Add the vanilla and yogurt and mix well. Add the sifted dry ingredients, then stir in the grated zucchini/courgettes. Turn into greased or lined 25cm cake pan and sprinkle the top with the chocolate bits/chips/drops.
Bake at 170ºC for 45 minutes, or until the centre feels firm and a cake skewer comes out clean. :-))

245sam (15 )

2/ This is the lovely recipe I used, posted by nzbadger,

2 cups of Grated Zucchini( skin on is OK)
Place this in a bowl with:
3 eggs
1 cup cooking oil
1 ½ cups White Sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 tsp Vanilla essence.
Mix the above well with a fork.
In another bowl sift:
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon

Add the zucchini mix to this flour mix. Mix with spatula till just mixed.
Cook in Large ring tin or 9inch square tin for 45 mins at 180 c.
May need covering with tinfoil if getting too brown on top for the last 15 mins.

luckyduck (346

brownscows, Jan 5, 6:44am
Thanks for all your help :)

floralsun, Jan 5, 6:44am
x1
ps.. if they're the yellow courgette's:

Courgette Lemon Jam
- comes out a lot like lemon honey:

Ingredients:
1kg yellow zucchini - or peeled green zucchini
juice and zest of 3 lemons
1kg sugar
125g butter
Chop zucchini finely and steam until tender. Puree in a food processor. Place zucchini pulp in a pot with the rest of the ingredients and stir over a low heat until the sugar is dossolved. Increase heat and boil for about 30 minutes, until the curd is thick and creamy like lemon honey. Pour into warm, sterilised glass jars and seal.

happyshoppin (67 )8:16 pm, Sun 7 Feb #8

motorbo, Jan 5, 6:49am
i like to grate them and pop in clean tea towel to wring out excess water, then you can add to a bit of grated potatoe and pan fry, or cold rice and an egg to make patties, or with eggs and other vege to make a vege baker or fritatta, pan fry and add to omlettes stir fry with onions and tomatoes. roast, pop on kebabs, add to thai chicken patties, pop into meatloafs, add to spag bog or lasagna, yum yum yum

socram, Jan 5, 6:51am
BBQ mine with celery salt - or even eat them raw with celery salt & any sour cream based dip.

tarankyle, Jan 5, 6:54am
I slice mine up, place in the microwave with butter & garlic for about 1min till the butter has melted, then place on the BBQ or in a frying pan yummy

ladeda, Jan 5, 6:58am
Grate into nearly everything - rice rissotto, spag bog, etc. Adds veges and bulk and flavour.

Grate and add grated potato, egg, a little flour, season and cook as patties (secret ingredient for my courgette patties is lovage - a herb that tastes like celery).

Slice longwise and grill on the BBQ

Slice into rings and fry up with tomatoes and red onion.

shickenmcboing, Jan 5, 7:01am
make a quiche with grated courgette grated orange kumera and feta cheese and a tin of salmon

mummyzara, Jan 5, 8:49am
x1
I made Alison Holst's zuchinni chocolate cake today.It is very nice and I would definitely make it again.I also made a salad with the grated zuchinni, grated carrot, red onion and cabbage sliced finely, pepper and salt and french dressing.It was good too.I'm finally on top of my great zuchini crop but oh what to do with all the cucumbers!

lilyfield, Jan 6, 8:22am
I even make them into soup. with chickenstock and lots of basil. Puree with stickblender and freeze

cookessentials, Jan 6, 8:55am
Courgette Fritters.

cucine, Jan 10, 8:05pm
Floralsun..I made your recipe for Courgette Lemon Jam. Absolutely delicious and really easy, DH loves it. It's in my recipe book now and I will pass it on to others. Thank you!
Mrs cucine.

stjimmy, Jan 10, 8:30pm
Stir fries - I tend to avoid doing circle cuts as they are less sweet and more bitter.I second the zucchini chocolate loaf/muffins/cake. THey're delicious!Try lightly steaming with a little olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper.Add a little onion cut in slivers if you want it to caramalise onto it.The sweetness of the zucchini and the onions complement each other.

I put them into pasta salads, pasta dishes, with rice, in curries, etc.

They're rather versatile, so if you think you can make it, give it a go! Try cutting them in different ways as the way you cut it will affect its flavour. Similar to onions and meat.

elliehen, Jan 10, 10:52pm
Grated into a fritttata :)

lindylambchops1, Jan 10, 11:04pm
Slice them length-ways, cover with grated cheese & grill!Delicious!

herself, Jan 11, 3:15am
Courgettes pan fried or bbq'd together with aubergine, capsicum and red onion, sliced with a dash of whatever herbs (cumin seeds are YUM! with this) or garlic added have been on the menu here, every second or third night.We are loving them.I just add something different every now and then (like tomatoes or mushrooms) to keep from becoming bored with it.

visionspring, Jan 11, 3:55am
Shred them up with a julienne peeler and use in place of pasta. Or you can do a chunkier version with a normal vegetable peeler :)

creeky1, Jan 11, 3:56am
bread n butter pickles. Great on sammies and with a cheese board.