Hunters - Wild Rabbit

Page 1 / 2
skipper42, Nov 23, 9:53pm
Caught a rabbit in the over night snares and have decided to see what I can do with it. Usually they just go to the dog, but this one is mine.

I know about brazing, stewing, etc, but thought I'd do this one on the rotisserie over the BBQ for a change.

It is in the fridge now cleaned etc and prob wont be done till Sunday night's dinner. Any tried and proven methods of preparation and cooking??

Cheers

beaker59, Nov 23, 11:52pm
Never done one on a rotisserie but should be good I generally coat pieces in breadcrumbs then roast in the oven. Try wrapping in fatty bacon. Rabbit is very nice in a pie too, in fact its nice any way.

uli, Nov 24, 4:08am
Would most likely go pretty dry on the rotisserie.
Think of it as a chicken without the fatty skin.

Slow braze with red wine, bay leaf, juniper berries.
Or stew with thyme, rosemary, some wine, onions, garlic.

skipper42, Nov 24, 4:14am
I had considered that it could be quite dry, due to no fat. So, was thinking maybe about a stuffing for it. Something that will hold a reasonable amount of cooking oil or has some dripping in it. Perhaps some pieces of pork fat perhaps. Sew up the gut cavity and away I go.

whitehead., Nov 24, 9:01am
soak it for an hour or so in salt and water to get rid of any blood before cooking .if roasting wrap in bacon and add a few nobs of butter cover to cook slowly for about an hour and a half with what ever veg you have at hand i like sliced applespud and onion

purplegoanna, Nov 24, 9:17am
well we shot, prepared and cooked one on monday nite in a stew, i wouldve been better to ad a gumboot then throw the rabbit away & eat the gumboot! it was as tough as hens teeth, i had it on low & long so it wasnt the cooking.....

skipper42, Nov 24, 9:31am
Always pays to let game meats "age" for a few days before cooking. Just clean it and set it on a cake rack in the fridge for a few days.

skipper42, Nov 28, 6:21pm
Rotisserie rabbit: On the BBQ rotisserie in the "filing cabinet" oven. 2 hours at 150 degrees and basted every 20 minutes or so with rice bran oil. That's it.

Result: Superb (surprisingly). Tender and not dry. Rabbit wasn't very big/old, and had been chilling out in the fridge for 5 days.

Will certainly be doing this more often.

beaker59, Nov 28, 7:11pm
Excellent result well done :)

Do you snare rabbits often? Around here they are fairly scarce so I struggle to get the occasional one with either 22 or 12g.

skipper42, Nov 28, 9:42pm
Yep, just simple loop snares. The bunnie usually gets caught around the neck and are usually still alive when i clear the snares the next day. They are designed not to strangle the animal but simply hold it.

No shortage around here. Usually get up to 5 a week from 4 snares. Good dog tucka mostly.

chefwilliams, Dec 7, 1:30pm
if u want to do it on a spit ect u need to lard it with pork fat. pretty much poke holes though it and insert lumps of fat. then wrap in bacon to help keep in moister

beaker59, Dec 7, 8:14pm
I got some Hares the other week I was blown away at how delicious they are, the back saddle fried fast and rare would have to be the best game meat in this country :) and the legs slow cooked were beautiful rich dark red meat very much like venison. :)

skipper42, Nov 23, 9:53pm
Caught a rabbit in the over night snares and have decided to see what I can do with it. Usually they just go to the dog, but this one is mine.

I know about brazing, stewing, etc, but thought I'd do this one on the rotisserie over the BBQ for a change.

It is in the fridge now cleaned etc and prob wont be done till Sunday night's dinner. Any tried and proven methods of preparation and cooking!

Cheers

purplegoanna, Nov 24, 9:17am
well we shot, prepared and cooked one on monday nite in a stew, i wouldve been better to ad a gumboot then throw the rabbit away & eat the gumboot! it was as tough as hens teeth, i had it on low & long so it wasnt the cooking.

skipper42, Nov 28, 6:21pm
Rotisserie rabbit: On the BBQ rotisserie in the "filing cabinet" oven. 2 hours at 150 degrees and basted every 20 minutes or so with rice bran oil. That's it.

Result: Superb (surprisingly). Tender and not dry. Rabbit wasn't very big/old, and had been chilling out in the fridge for 5 days.

Will certainly be doing this more often.

beaker59, Nov 28, 7:11pm
Excellent result well done :)

Do you snare rabbits often! Around here they are fairly scarce so I struggle to get the occasional one with either 22 or 12g.

uli, Dec 8, 7:52am
No hares here - but lots of rabbits :)

bryan.irene, Dec 8, 7:20pm
I agree with beaker59 - the hares I have cooked have been probably one of the nicest meats I have ever eaten.I soaked overnight in salted water, and then the next night in vinegar, then browned off in frypan - made a stock and put in the slowcooker.The beauty of hares is you get a decent amount of meat off them.

ant_sonja, Dec 8, 7:40pm
Anyone know if there are hares in the Bay of Plenty! Rabbits galore but not sure about hare.would love to try some :)

davidt4, Dec 8, 7:53pm
I've only ever eaten hare in restaurants and it's always been delicious.Is there anywhere that sells hare to the public!

winnie231, Dec 8, 8:16pm
Rare Fare in Christchurch sells hare & they also have an online shop.
http://www.rarefare.co.nz/

sheepey, Dec 8, 8:22pm
In the past I've cooked it like chicken, apricot chicken, casserole etc.

beaker59, Dec 8, 11:49pm
At 12 dollars a Kg that would have to be gormet bargain of the centuary and well worthwhile.I must get out soon for a look there should be plenty of young bunnies about which are really nice jointed crumbed and baked or done KFC style mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

uli, Dec 9, 12:38am
yes - we have lovely wild bunnies in the garden again . out comes the shotgun!

beaker59, Dec 9, 6:42am
So do you have the standard gardeners 410 shottie Uli a great bunnie gun, though there are some very good air rifles about these days. I have the 12 gauge pump and a 22 for my bunnies.