Smelly teatowels

Page 2 / 2
trial_by_fire, Nov 22, 12:07pm
don't wash your tea towels with undies.

waterlilies, Nov 22, 3:53pm
Oooppps I read buzzys post #4 with an i between the tt's. Can't sleep and feeling a bit grumpy and that made me laugh out loud to myself.

waterlilies, Nov 23, 3:45am
Bumping because I thought I was really funny at 5am this morning :)

flower-child01, Nov 23, 11:38pm
First baking soda and vingar is acidic. You do not need baking soda, soak the teatowels overnight in a bucket of water and 1/2 a cup of white vineger. Rinse out well before putting through the washing machine or the vinegar will make the metal parts on the washing machine rust.

Vinegar is excellent put straight on food or grass stained clothing, left for 3 or more hours, before rinsing then washing (son had school photos today, his school shirt came home with orange stains yesterday, he went to school today in his shirt now spot free). I use it to clean the grass stains off my gymshoes after mowing the lawns.

It is also great as a toilet cleaner, use baking soda on stubborn stains.

It is also great on carpets, spot check first, we had an old raspbery stain on the carpet, it is now gone, just mix with a smidgem of a phospahate free laundry powder to make a great carpet cleaner.

These are all methods I use everyday.

flower-child01, Nov 23, 11:44pm
Another point too, certain laundry detergents leave an after smell, I think this along with good ole dirt and grime leaves the smells in the teatowels. I recently started using using Down to Earth sensitive which is fragrance free, my teatowels no longer have any lingering smell after use. It is in my opinion the best (and not bad priced) laundry detergent. And my sons excema is receding now. Which is also a plus.

donnabeth, Nov 26, 4:24am
I periodically boil my teatowels, face cloths and dish cloths exactly the way my mother always did-in the stockpot without any soap. It's amazing what comes out of them.

I'd love to do it to my MIL's teatowels. She does wash them regularly, but they still smell 'spewy' and feel sort of waxy.

raewyn64, Nov 26, 5:30am
I boiled mine for the first time last weekend after reading this post.Just added a little washing powder and boiled them for 20 minutes.Like a poster above, the colour of the water after did not impress me :) lol.Then I put them into the washing machine just to do a rinse cycle and spin, then out on the clothes line for the day.They smell great now, even those that I have used for a couple of days still smell fresh and not, as donnabeth says above "spewy" which is how they smelt before.I will be doing the boiling method regularly now so thanks so much everyone.

rainrain1, Nov 26, 5:51am
i wish this smelly thread would go away...it stinks in recipes

elliehen, Nov 26, 6:46am
Teatowels are a hangover from great-grandparents' olden days.Why not just rinse dishes, after washing, in a bowl of near-boiling water and allow to drain dry?

Edited to add:They probably boiled their teatowels in the copper, as they did their bedsheets.

guest, Apr 13, 5:35pm
I find cloudy amonia good for this. Just don't stand too close whole pouring it.