Wise ones l need you to look at this

griffo4, Feb 25, 11:59pm
l just got my Taste mag and on pg 69 there is a millionaire's shortbread and the topping there is
240g butter
240g muscovado sugar
4 tab golden syrup
1 can condensed milk.
My query is there too much butter and sugar in this?
They call it a toffee but l am thinking thats too much butter and sugar and wonder if it is a typo?
Your thoughts would be appreciated

alebix, Feb 26, 12:01am
Not that im a wise one, but I would sayh no, k its ok as you have a full can of condensed milk to add to this.
Sounds like its a big topping that might be a bit on the sickly side.

I would be interested in hearing what its like. . Sounds quite delicious.

245sam, Feb 26, 12:03am
griffo4, I have to go out but maybe you'd like to compare the recipe you have with this one that is from here on TM - thanks to rkcroft... . .

MILLIONAIRES SHORTBREAD BARS
Shortbread:
170g butter
¼ cup sugar
½ tsp vanilla
1½ cups flour
⅛ tsp salt

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Add the flour and salt, and beat until the dough just comes together. Press the mixture into a lined 23cm square pan.
Bake at180°Cfor20 minutes. Remove from the oven and meanwhile prepare the

Caramel:
1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk

Either boil the condensed milk in the can for about 90 minutes, or an easier way is to do it in microwave - pour the sweetened condensed milk into a microwave-safe bowl and cook it on MEDIUM-HIGH for 4 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Reduce the power to MEDIUM-LOW and continue to cook for another 8-12 minutes or until the milk has thickened and turned a caramel colour. Beat until smooth, then pour the caramel over the base and leave it to set, then evenly pour over the

Topping:
170g dark chocolate
1 tsp butter

Melt the chocolate and butter together.
Leave to set. Cut into pieces using a sharp knife and store in the refrigerator. :-))

griffo4, Feb 26, 12:21am
245sam l have made that recipe and so when l saw that one in Taste l compared the 2 and that was when l thought l would ask your opinion l was thinking too sickly
l have emailed Taste to ask if it is a typo and will let you know what they say if l get a reply
lt does sound nice and l think with 245sam's base and the Taste topping would be really nice

sarahj1, Feb 26, 4:35am
where's the flour? ? ? Typo IMHO

uli, Feb 26, 4:59am
Not sure if this thread will help (tongue in cheek):
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=114665

griffo4, Feb 26, 6:51am
There is no flour in it as it is the caramel topping and it is cooked for 10mins. l have other recipes for caramel and they all have flour in it but not this one.
Taste replied to my email and said that yes that was how the recipe was supposed to be so l will have to give it a try and let you know.
Uli l enjoyed that thread that you put here it was good fun

griffo4, Feb 26, 8:07am
l have just looked in my cupboard and l have no light muscovado sugar what can l use in its place?

245sam, Feb 26, 8:49am
griffo4, I suggest that you use either brown sugar or palm sugar in place of the muscovado sugar. :-))

griffo4, Feb 26, 8:27pm
Thanks 245sam l have brown sugar and will try it later on when l get back

griffo4, Feb 27, 6:16am
l made this today and it is really nice and not too sweet and l think it is the base which is basic that soaks up the sweetness. l used brown sugar and it worked well so will make it again