HAVE JUST BOUGHT A VEAL TONGUE

mallee, Oct 15, 12:35am
I can already hear some of you going yuk! :-) :-) I haven't had it for years. If memory serves me correctly, it needs to soak in cold water first for several hours????

pericles, Oct 15, 12:46am
yes, soak it

pickles7, Oct 15, 12:49am
I like a bit of tongue myself.

pericles, Oct 15, 12:50am
norty haha

petal1955, Oct 15, 12:55am
Is it corned?? if so........sounds delicimo

mallee, Oct 15, 2:03am
No, it's not corned, it's straight out of the beasts gob!!

beaker59, Oct 15, 3:06am
That'll shut I'm up!

obviousas, Oct 15, 3:28am
When I was doing my articleship, one of the Jewish partners would ask for volunteers to buy his lunch. 4 out of 10 times he would order smoked tongue sandwich. I remember there was mustard, pepper, gherkin, tomatoes, lettuce. It would be nice in a toasted baguette today.

If I was doing the tongue, I would put it whole in a slow cooker for a couple of hours. Add cracked pepper, 3 pieces of star anise, a couple of cloves and maybe two or three small pieces of cinnamon bark. Add salt to taste.

Remove from slow cooker and skin the tongue. After that season with Diamond "Coat and cook" original seasoning. Put in the oven for another 30 to 40 minutes.

Slice and eat with a chutney, cranberry sauce. Food fit for royalty.

mallee, Oct 15, 4:29am
Many thanks obviousas, it sounds absolutely yummy :-) ;-) Few people buy them anymore, it's a shame because they makle a wonderful meal.

deus701, Oct 15, 4:38am
i love ox tongue.. marinated and grilled korean style

fifie, Oct 15, 5:00am
MMMmm that sounds nice coated with crumbs. Will be trying that. I do mine in slow cooker similar then skin and press it have it sliced cold with salads in the summer, just beautiful..

obviousas, Oct 15, 3:35pm
Don't tell the world!

This is gourmet grub and as long as Master Chefs and Gordon Ramsey(s) of the world do not promote this, we will keep this little secret to ourselves.

This is one of the last few "unwanted", "under rated" meatstill not affected too much by price rises. Frankly, the only few things that are within budget. sic!

Look what happened to the humble chicken liver. Only just a few years ago, the butcher were giving them away.

mallee, Oct 17, 5:33am
Not to mention lambs shanks, kidney's, etc.

bestdeals, Oct 17, 9:20am
Ive seen my parents and grandparenst have cow tongue heaps of times and they have never ever soaked it. I do remember that you have to simmer it for like 3 hours, but well worth the wait.

Eat it with a strong mustard and gerkins to taste.

mallee, Jun 7, 10:19pm
Yes, I think the idea of soaking is for a corned tongue. I could be wrong though.