Whatever happened to boiling fowl?

buzzybee1, Oct 12, 5:02am
Many moons ago, I could go up to a chicken farm and buy a couple of old, tired-out laying chooks (dressed) for very cheap prices. They were no good for roasting etc, but made the best stock in the old crockpot. You could also get them frozen from supermarkets, but no more. Anyone know if you can still get them anywhere in the Auckland area?
Thanks

noonesgirl, Oct 12, 5:09am
I remember going to the Chicken farm & buying the 'boilers' & also buying a tray of cracked eggs, usually most of them were double yokers.

davidt4, Oct 12, 5:13am
The Mad Butcher has frozen boiling fowls and the Chinese food markets usually have them as well.They make the best stock, and you can use the thigh meat in a pie.They are sometimes labelled "roasting fowl", which is seriously misleading.

buzzybee1, Oct 12, 5:19am
Ahhh, Thank you David, I've just moved in this area and there is a mad butcher in Pt chev (haven't been there yet). And yes, I remember after long, slow cooking, the flesh would become quite edible and the stock ... well, the way it's supposed to taste!
PS, you're right about the 'roasting fowl' bit!

davidt4, Oct 12, 5:22am
It's the Pt Chev Mad Butcher that I get them from.

buzzybee1, Oct 12, 5:37am
I might meet you there one day... imagine the headlines "Romance starts at the Mad Butchers Old Chooks Isle at Pt Chev". Not that I'm implying you're an old chook of course!

makere0071, Oct 13, 7:05am
Pak n Save.$5 each

stormbaby, Oct 13, 9:56am
Gosh when I was first married, nearly 30 years ago, there were about 3 local chicken farms around in this area (Redwood/Marshlands/Avonside) and I would go and get my fresh chicken, my eggs, pet mince for making dog food plus the good old roasting fowls. All our "locals" have since gone, nowadays you can buy them at the Asian warehouse, but I just buy the chicken carcasses from the Mad Butcher. Still makes awesome stock. I used to put the roasting or boiling fowls in the crockpot (yup mine is that old) and make stock. I would take the cooked meat off the bones and make pies, casseroles etc. They went a long way for around $2 each!

aktow, Oct 13, 12:03pm
yes you can still buy them. the name has changed to kfc chicken pieces.

miss-skyline, Oct 13, 10:31pm
theres a place on swanson rd just passed the gull service station heading towards westgate on the left hand side that sells them for$4 ea they also sells boxes of whole chickens and bags of thighs,drums and savouries etc worth checking out sorry dont remember the name of the place and only called in there yesterday.hope this helps

maycey, Oct 14, 5:44am
They have them at the Tai Ping asian supermarket, where mitre 10 was in new lynn. Sure they are $4.

beaker59, Oct 15, 12:02am
Used to get them years ago myself for stock but also found after an hour of simmering I could get enough tender meat off to make a nice big pie which was very nice and several meals of chicken soup.

andydlm, May 30, 6:16pm
Often called roasting hens. Cooked very slowly in an oven bag for about 4 hours and they are far tastier than a standard chicken