Haven\'\'fine porcelain teapot.

claudds, Sep 16, 10:26pm
i have a badly satained teapot.can be used in microwave and
dishwasher safe.has any one any ideas how i can clean this.
make black tea in it all the time.tried all brands.

cookessentials, Sep 16, 10:38pm
Jif on a cloth or janola-let it soak awhile, then wash and rinse well. Isn't "Haven" Warehouse or Briscoes?

245sam, Sep 16, 11:03pm
I understand that the "Haven" dinnerware, etc. is a Farmer's brand.:-))

cookessentials, Sep 16, 11:36pm
That may explain things. The janola or jif method works well and I use it on tea cups etc. You say it is dishwasher safe...do you have a dish washer? because that will also usually get rid of the tannin marks from tea and coffee.

korbo, Sep 16, 11:53pm
soak in napisan for a day...you will be amzed how sparkly it becomes. use napisan to whiten tupperware also.

calista, Sep 17, 12:39am
Korbo, thanks for the hint re tupperware- I have some old stuff that looks awful.

jag5, Sep 17, 1:01am
Hae you tried salt?That is what I use on stained cups.Dampen cup, sprinkle on salt and rub around with finger.Try it in your teapot.But, some swear by the tannin stains in the pot, saying that is what helps to create the tea flavour.Tea made in a new pot versus an old pot, (unstained) is quite different according to some.

chrisynz, Sep 17, 1:17am
agree salt works well, its what my nana used to use on her fine bone china cups , teapots etc

winnie231, Sep 17, 5:14am
salt here too ... wouldn't want to risk a jif or janola taste to my tea!

eastie3, Sep 17, 5:29am
Or denture tablets.

cookessentials, Sep 17, 5:30am
Well, I'm still here LOL you do have to wash and rinse afterwards.

winnie231, Sep 17, 5:56am
no offence Pam - I didn't want to imply it would kill you ...
it's just that I'm very sensitive to smell/taste/aroma.

buzzy110, Sep 17, 6:23am
Duh!! Not a tea drinker myself but I've heard that tea drinkers can go ballistic, get murderous even, if you clean their teapot and teacups as has been suggested in this thread. The thought of soaking them in harsh chemicals like janola or napisan would have an afficionado searching for an axe to do some serious damage, surely. So what is going on here? Should they be spotlessly clean all the time or does their dirty, repulsive looking appearance only add to the richness and flavour of their favourite tipple?

kirinesha, Sep 17, 6:33am
An glazed surface will not absorb the Janola or Napisan, or Steradent, only an unglazed surface will. A good wash in hot soapy water and a rinse afterwards will remove all residual odours of those cleaners, not to mention leaving the porcelain sparkling clean. Companies like Wrightway, who restore china, use Napisan.

I personally hate that brown caked interior, I would rather go without than drink from a cup or pot stained that way. And I love my tea.

buzzy110, Sep 17, 6:49am
Nice information kirinesha however, I have seen a thread on here once started by someone who was having a breakdown because her teacup or teapot or some such tea making or drinking implement had been washed clean. I know people who don't empty their tea leaves out until they go to make their next pot full and heaven help me when I suggest they might like to clean the pot first.

nauru, Sep 17, 9:12am
I use napisan in hot water and leave it in the pot overnight.I give it a good wash in hot soapy water and rinse well next morning and have never had any problem with it affecting the taste of my morning cuppa. Being a pom I'm very fussy about my tea and it must be made in a teapot too, doesn't taste the same made in a cup.

claudds, Sep 17, 10:54am
thanks every one for your help i will try a few ideas
and see what is the best.love a cupa but it looks pretty
awfull when someone else makes it.it is a white teapot
so it has to be kept clean.

laser51, Sep 18, 1:23am
Baking soda used in the same manner described for salt works well too

cookessentials, Sep 18, 1:34am
no offence taken winnie.

elliehen, Mar 27, 5:43pm
A tablespoon of baking soda, slightly moistened, works wonders.Rub with a chux cloth or similar and the tannin comes off immediately and leaves the crockery sparkling clean.