What to do with Wheatabix?

tielfan, Sep 16, 7:56pm
Okay so there was this great deal at Pack N Save yesterday for Sunny Bisk, which is a UK Wheatabix.So I bought a couple of boxes for hubby.Hubby is now sticking his nose in the air, despite it being food from 'home', he says he likes his expensive boxed cereal *sigh*.So I now have a few boxes to use up (okay approximately four, it was a good deal!).Any ideas, I've got two kids that eat a lot of baking but I'm flumoxed on this!TIA

creeky1, Sep 16, 8:06pm
afghans, some recipes ask for cornflakes but i just crush weetbix instead.( I'm assuming that wheatabix is the same as weetbix)

tielfan, Sep 16, 8:12pm
Yep, pretty much the same, slightly smaller flakes but they still seem to absorb more milk than a sponge could ever hope to. Thanks for that, I haven't made afgans in years.The kids will consume them like a waste disposal unit.

lizab, Sep 16, 9:01pm

tielfan, Sep 16, 9:12pm
Oh thank you Lizab!Lots of choice.Stay inside and cook today I think!!

lizab, Sep 16, 9:23pm
let's hope this giant storm doesn't cut our power then :) I'll be baking too! Feel very sorry for my hubby and all the lambs today out in this weather on the farm :( I'll go and make some pikelets for morning tea for him :) Happy baking tielfan :)

tielfan, Sep 16, 11:46pm
Thanks LisaB - just hauled everyone into the car to get supplies!Kids are cosy playing in the lounge.I hope the power doesn't go out, we already have a fuse out in the upper part of the double oven.I never remember we have a double because I never use the bottom, now I'm using it!I feel for your hubby with the lambs, they'll all be soaked and cold.I think your hubby will eat like a bandit after a morning outside!

socram, Sep 17, 1:44am
I have a UK recipe for Weetabix and pear wine!!!!Honest.

Just went to the bookshelf.Correction, I DID have a recipe, in a book of Express Wine Making.As is usual, someone has borrowed it and I forgot to note who...

UK is Weetabix, local is Weet-Bix, never heard of Sunny Bisk.

softlysoftly8, Sep 17, 2:40am
I have recently been given this recipe and I've made it again today. I doubled the recipe as I wanted two loaves.
This is for one (1) loaf~~~~~~Into a bowl put 4 weetbix, 1 cup sugar,1 tsp Baking Soda,3tblsp butter,...pour over 1 cup of boiling water. Leave until butter melts & weetbix swells( approx 5 mins).Add 1 egg (beaten) and stir.Then 1 cup of flour & 1 tsp Baking Powder, sifted over 1 cup fruit (dates, apricots,fruit)Mix into the weetbix mixture. Bake @ 160c about 1 hour. Delicious and easy peasy !!!

tielfan, Sep 17, 3:16am
Sunny Bisk are manufactured in Wellingborough.Certainly recall seeing them in the supermarkets in the NE.The kids are munching thru the chocolate slice I made with them today.DH is also scoffing - ha ha if he only knew!

dollmakernz, Sep 18, 4:38am
This loaf is really nice. Where abouts are you from? I'm originally from Romford, been here 31yrs!!!!!! Couldn't think of a better country any world to live than NZ!

Weetbix Loaf

6 crushed weetbix, 1½c sugar, 3c s.r.flour, 400g fruit, 300ml milk.
Mix altogether and leave for a few hours (Can be left overnight) Bake 150°
1-1½hrs. Use 2 small loaf tins or 1 large one

nauru, Mar 28, 11:51am
dollmakernz wrote:
This loaf is really nice. Where abouts are you from? I'm originally from Romford, been here 31yrs!!!!!! Couldn't think of a better country any world to live than NZ!

Weetbix Loaf

6 crushed weetbix, 1½c sugar, 3c s.r.flour, 400g fruit, 300ml milk.
Mix altogether and leave for a few hours (Can be left overnight) Bake 150°
1-1½hrs. Use 2 small loaf tins or 1 large one[/quot

Is this like a cut and butter tealoaf or more a cake like loaf?
From Durham in the NE here originally.