Anybody make thier own dim sims?

danchop, Aug 15, 10:17pm
filling ideas please

cookessentials, Aug 15, 11:55pm
No, I dont, however I tried one at the South Melbourne Market last weekend which was pork with very finely sliced cabbage and it had a slight hot curry taste. These were the deep fried variety and were absolutley delicious. They are one thing I had never tried or made. I can check my recipe books to see what is in there in regards to flavours.

davidt4, Aug 16, 12:16am
Here is a basic filling for steamed Chinese dumplings

Ingredients

* 200g cabbage leaves, finely chopped
* 1t salt
* 1T peanut oil
* 1T (50g) grated ginger
* 300g minced pork
* White pepper
* 125ml chicken stock
* 2T light soy sauce
* 1T Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
* A little cornflour slaked in water (or guar or xanthan gum)
* 1½T sesame oil
* 1 small spring onion, chopped

* To serve:
* Chinese black vinegar (Chinkiang) to serve

* Put cabbage in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave for 30 min to drain. Rinse and squeeze dry.
* Meanwhile, in a frying pan heat oil with ginger and pork over medium heat, stirring often until the pork is well broken up and cooked through - about 10 minutes.
* Add pepper, chicken stock, soy sauce and Shaoxing wine, simmer 5 minutes.
* Sprinkle in the cornflour mixture (or guar or xanthan a pinch at a time) and stir welluntil the mixture is slightly thickened and there is no free liquid. (This recipe was tested with guar, and about 1/2 tsp was needed. Don't overdo it. )
* Add sesame oil and spring onion, stir over heat 1 minute.
* The filling can now be used straight away or refrigerated for up to three days and reheated.

* Serve steamed dumplings hot with a few drops of black vinegar sprinkled over, or experiment with other Chinese dipping sauces such as chili oil or sliced chillis in vinegar.

danchop, Aug 16, 1:30am
didnt see these posts cause i been shopping at the asian supermarket
got 60 dumpling precut wrappers
500g lean pork mince
bunch of spinich and coriander, parsley
ginger, garlic
fish sauce
fresh chillis
im going to mix this all up and make them to steam or fry, im not going to precook the mixture though

pogram0, Aug 16, 8:01am
x3
I used to live in Melbourne and one morning on Channel 10's 'Good Morning Australia' show, Elizabeth Chong, TV cooking personality, featured in the cooking segment. She said that her father many years before introduced dim sims to Australia. She not only demonstrated how to make them but also offered the recipe to anyone who wanted it so I wrote in for it. I'll post recipe.

sumstyle, Aug 16, 8:07am
Are dumplings the same as dim sum? Cos Nici Wickes on World Kitchen TV3 last night made some with mushrooms - looked yum. And she made steamed buns which I love - our Malaysian co-workers bring them in to work and they are divine.

http://www.tegel.co.nz/index. php/pi_pageid/215/pi_episodeid/
17/pi_recipeid/425

danchop, Aug 16, 8:09am
i think i used the wrong word, probably should be dumplings not dim sims

pogram0, Aug 16, 8:11am
10 spring roll wrappers, 1 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons oil. Oil for deep frying. Filling:2 cups shredded chicken fillet (cooked), 500g minced pork, 1 cup finely sliced celery, 1 onion finely chopped, 2 cups shredded, blanched cabbage. Seasoning:1 tablespoon light soy, 1 tablespoon Shaohsing rice wine, 1 teaspoon sugar, Thickening: 3 teaspoons cornflour in 85ml (a third of a cup) of water. Method:Heat the 3 tablespoons of oil in a wok, add 1 teaspoon of salt and over a high heat stir-fry the minced pork for 1 minute. Add celery, onion and cabbage and cook for a further 2 minutes. Add seasoning then stir in the cornflour thickening. Add the shredded, cooked chicken fillet. Allow to cool, preferably overnight. Take 2 tablespoons of filling and put it in the middle of the spring roll sheet. Draw the edges of the wrappers up to the top and pinch firmly together to make a round ball-shape. Deep fry in moderately hot oil for 4-5 minutes.

spongeypud, Aug 16, 10:07am
I love pork dumplings and got this recipe from the NZ pork website. After making these I tried my own version which was even nicer.
2 Tbls canola oil
2 Tbls garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2 Tbls fresh ginger, peeled and grated
250gms pork mince
1 small bunch Chinese or garlic chives, finely chopped
2 Tbls Sweet chilli sauce
1 Tbls Hoisin Sauce (optional)

The one did I used raw prawns finely chopped, with the mince, oyster sauce, garlic, ginger, fresh coriander (a must), fresh chilli, and finely chopped water chestnuts which give them a great crunch. Just mix and match with whatever you like, the prawn a pork ones were my favourite and it's surprising how far 250 gms of pork mince goes, I made them and them froze them and they were lovely steamed or in a soup (the first recipe they tell you to brown them in oil first then steam them). Sorry I don't have any quantities for my version.

gavin166, Aug 17, 2:06am
Yummy with finely diced water chestnut added to mixture too.

ferita, Aug 17, 3:27am
Dim Sims are very big in Australia . . along with the chico roll :)

fisher, Aug 17, 3:33am
Every time I go to Melbourne and the market, I get some for lunch at the caravans at the end of the market. . steamed. .
"dum sums" . . as they say itlol:}

cookessentials, Aug 17, 3:35am
Mama Tran does the fried ones... they were delicious, however, I only had one!

obviousas, Feb 3, 8:53pm
Yum char (= drink tea). It's just like saying "let's have tea" and instead of have cakes and dessert, the Chinese have dumplings and steamed food ( from chicken feet, prawns wrapped in rice pastry, to dumplings with different sorts of marinated meats and fish and meat balls) and served with tea, of course.

Dim sum (= the different types of steamed food you have at a yum char).

Thx for that will download the episode