Does anybody know,,,why you put

dinky17, Aug 10, 5:31am
yogurt in a curry, not all curries ask for yogurt, but when they do, why? what is the reason? flavour? or thickness? I would like the knows and wherefors. . lol... tia.

sumstyle, Aug 10, 5:42am
I thought it mellowed out the spicyness?

dinky17, Aug 10, 5:44am
I dont know... are you asking me? or telling me? lolol... why put in so many spices and then cancel them out again? dont make sense to me.

traceedwards, Aug 10, 5:45am
You have the flavour of the spice without the 'hotness'

Edit

Actually remembering back to some cooking show / Asia down under, proper Indian cooking must have a mix of many flavours that compliment each other.

dinky17, Aug 10, 5:48am
ok thanks... that is the answer is it? to mellow the flavour of the spices? thanks, I have been making curries religiously, but lately I am beginning to wonder why this or that... lol... thanks

dinky17, Aug 10, 5:50am
and thanks also to sumstyle. . you gave the same reason really. . blush... ...

sumstyle, Aug 10, 7:52am
True - but it was only recent knowledge in my short term memory, thus the ? mark - I think I heard it on World Kitchen only last week when she was in India...

elliehen, Aug 10, 8:04am
Some ideas from a curry expert.

dinky17, Aug 10, 9:34am
thanks elliehen for your input.

cookessentials, Aug 10, 10:56am
The yoghurt does have a cooling effect on the palate- you will still get the flavour of the spices added, but take a little of the heat out of it. "Raita" is a curry and cucumber side dish, often served with curry to help cool ones palate.

ferita, Aug 10, 5:51pm
you can replace yoghurt with cream in curries. Gives it a decadent taste

uli, Aug 11, 4:37am
ahem - you need to thank davidt4 - who is not writing much here anymore because of people like elliehen ... she actually wrote the answer to your question - ellie merely "copied and pasted" ...

katje, May 7, 6:06am
I always wondered about the yoghurt too

omokoroa1, May 7, 6:54am
same thing if you drink milk if the curry is spicy hot