Tripe

jj27, Jan 25, 3:00am
Hi, brought some tripe first time for 30 yrs. need some ideas on cooking it, thanks.

245sam, Jan 25, 3:19am
Hi jj27, I am most definitely not a tripe consumer but my youngest brother is and when he gratefully received our still in good order microwave I helped him to cook his fav (tripe) - he consumed this whole quantity in one meal... . .

MICROWAVED TRIPE AND ONIONS - please see note
500g tripe
water
2 onions, finely chopped into rings
Sauce:
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
½ tsp salt
1 cup milk
3 tbsp finely chopped parsley

Place the chopped tripe into a casserole dish. Cover with hot water and mricowave, covered, on HIGH (100% power) for 4-5 minutes. Drain off the liquid and remove the tripe from the casserole dish, then set it aside.
Place the onions into the casserole dish and cover them with water. Microwave, covered, on HIGH for 3-4 minutes. Add the tripe, cover and microwave on MEDIUM (70% power) for a further 6-8 minutes, stirring after 3 minutes. Set aside to stand.
Make the white sauce. Melt the butter in a 2 cup jug on HIGH (100% power) for 30-60 seconds. Add the flour and salt. Stir together for 30-60 seconds, until the mixture bubbles. Slowly stir in the milk. M’wave on HIGH (100% power) for 2½-3 minutes, stirring every minute. Add the parsley. Stir.
Drain off the water from the tripe and stir it into the white sauce. Serve immediately.
NOTE: This recipe is 20+ years old, when microwave ovens were not so powerful, therefore some adjustment may be needed. The microwave used for testing this recipe had an output of 650W.

This and more tripe recipes can be found at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=12&t=708

jj27, Jan 25, 3:27am
Hi 245Sam, i saw that in the trademecooks posted by you and at the moment 1 of 2 choices, mainly its quicker, thanks.

elliehen, Jan 25, 3:40am
x1
I have some very old NZ cookbooks - probably can't do better than 245sam's suggestion, but will check.

pickles7, Jan 25, 3:53am
I like to simmer my tripe for 1 to 2 hours , adding sliced onions near the end of cooking , then change from water to milk , thicken with cornflour , adding salt pepper . . I have cooked it in the mic. but it was like leather.

valentino, Jan 25, 6:49am
I do mine in a slow cooker.

Cut into bite size chunks, chop an onion into cooker, cover with water and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours.

Nearing time to serve, in a saucepan make a white sauce with a bit of grated cheese and season to taste upon finish.

Drain the water from slow cooker (cooker still switched on), add the white sauce, give it a very good stir, check taste and season further if required, just allow heat to come through then serve with a garnish of parsley.

wron, Jan 25, 8:32am
Hi John,
Ages ago I tried to find out if there was a tripe club in Auckland, don't seem to be any now! At one time there were harbour cruises where they served tripe in a variety of ways, nothing now! If you hear of anything, especially in West Auckland, pleae let me know!

pickles7, Jan 25, 8:40am
got toooo expensive I reacon... . . wron... . We are going to have a tripe night at our bowling club... mmmmmm but ya have to be a memba lol

margyr, Jan 25, 8:41am
have not done this but saw it on a cooking show on tele, so googled deep fried tripe, Place the tripe into a large pot, and cover with a lot of water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Drain, then rinse well with cold water. Drain in a colander, squeezing out the excess water.
Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Beat together the egg, barbeque sauce, and milk in a mixing bowl. Stir in the flour, and mix until no dry lumps remain. Season with garlic powder, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Dip the pieces of tripe into the egg batter, and allow the excess to drip off. Deep fry the tripe in the hot oil until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Allow the tripe to drain on a paper towel-lined plate before serving.

margyr, Jan 25, 8:43am
grandma used to bring it to the boil and tip the water off 3 or 4 times before finally leaving it in the water to cook for hours, she then just made a parsley sauce with onions and added the tripe before serving. i never had to eat it;)

julian, Feb 29, 1:18am
A couple of years ago I was looking for a Tripe recipe for Bastille day and came across Menudo. This is the king of all Tripe recipes ( google it ). I use polenta instead of posole / hominy, which is hard to find in NZ. Just cooked up a big pot of it- superb, that's why I'm writing this.