DUMPLING or Doughboys

lespat, Jul 8, 7:54am
as my Mum used to call them. She used to make a quite light dryish full layer (not individual doughboys) over her stews. I recall the recipes may have had suet in it. Does this ring any bells out there. Unfortunately when she passed away, her recipes disappeared.

nfh1, Jul 8, 7:58am
My Mum used to make a Suet Pastry topping for Meat and Potato Casserole which was just suet, plain flour and water. I think it was twice as much plain flour to suet - not very healthy but lovely! You just mixed it until it went together and then rolled it out.

fisher, Jul 8, 8:16am
More traditional ones...
Dough Boys
Place 2 cups self raising flour and pinch salt into a bowl. Add water and make into a HARD dough. Kneed out and cut into strips 3cm wide. Rip bits off and flatten with fork and add to boiling pot. Stir to make sure they do not stick together.
Glad-wrap the extra uncooked dough~freeze and thaw for next time.
Dumplings
11/2 cups flour1 tsp baking powderpinch salt50g buttermilk and water to mix.
Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
Rub in butter and mix to a soft dough with milk and water
Drop spoonfuls on boiling stew and cook 10 mins with lid off and then 10 mins with lid on saucepan or casserole dish until dumplings are fluffy
Variations:
You can add a crumbled beef oxo cube or chicken oxo cube depending on the dish you are making.
Alternatively you can add a 1 tsp of mixed herbs ~ a variety of herbs ~ or some fine chopped parsley for that seafood chowder.
Dumplings can be put into a variety of dishes and made with various additions to enhance those dishesBacon ~ Chicken ~ Chilli ~ Surimi ... etc etc
Can also be made with Corn Meal added.

darlingmole, Jul 8, 8:28am
added to fishers recipe (from another kind poster on here) add fresh herbs to your dough -parsley/chives etc and bring to the boil in your stew. It adds extra flavour and is very delicious

cuteviolet, Jul 8, 8:56am
A bit of grated cheese added the dumpling mix goes down very nicely as well!

bearskin, Jun 2, 3:45am
I have a question. We made a beef stew on the woodburner last night. The stew is cooked now - doesn't need any further simmering, just heating up (probably just microwave it). But, we wanted to make dumplings for it. We would normally pop on top of the stew as it's finishing - but what do we do to make dumplings if we're not cooking the stew any further? Can you steam dumplings or do them in the oven? Thanks.