beaker59, Jul 4, 4:37am
Tapioca pudding in the slow cooker.
4 cups milk
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup small pearl tapioca
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp Vanilla essence

DIRECTIONS
1. Stir together the milk, sugar, tapioca, and eggs in a slow cooker. Cover, and cook on Medium for 3 hours, or on Low for 6 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve warm.
This is a big favourite winter warmer in our family its very easy and fool proof as long as you give it a stir a few times during cooking. Leftovers are also very nice cold serve with stewed fruit is nice. I have used both Sago and Tapioca and can't tell the difference if there is one.

nattles88, Jul 4, 4:42am
a favourite of mine

Lemon Sago:

1/2 cup sago
600mL water
2 lemons
4 tablespoons suger
4 tablespoon golden syrup

Wash sago and soak for 2hours in 300mL water
Put the remainder of water in a saucepan and bring to boil
Add soaked sago and cook until transparent, stirring occaisionaly
Remove from heat and add lemon juices, rind, sugar and syrup
Mixwell and when set and serve with custard or cream

Variation: Reduce water by 1/2cup and add one cup grated pineapple

beaker59, Jul 4, 6:19am
That does look good Nattles and may suit one of our family who struggles with milk. However am I reading your recipe correct the lemon rind (I assume you mean zest) added after cooking? is that right I would have thought that would need cooking in? I will try this out next week.

nattles88, Jul 4, 9:04am
Nope you're right, it should have been zest. I don't fancy zest so I usually leave it out but I guess if its grated finely it could still be added at the end cause its still warm and would cook it a little ?

deus701, Jul 4, 10:49am
One of my favourite dessert with sago would be 'Bubur Cha Cha'. Its basically a medley of sweet potatoes, tapioca, sometimes red bean all cooked in a sweet coconut milk base.

http://nyonyafood. rasamalaysia.com/bubur-cha-cha/

another variation using mangoes.

http://en. christinesrecipes.com/2010/01/mango-tapioca-pearls
-dessert-happy.html

for a simplified version, all you need is diced kumara, cooked sago, (cooked red bean if you wish) and a can of coconut milk. Boil up the kumara, add the red bean, coconut milk and simmer 10-15 mins. It should have the consistency of a thick soup. . and can be served warm or cold.

judz46, Jul 4, 7:41pm
The tapioca is delicious done in the slow cooker as is the lemon sago - i put the zest in at the beginning, but it does give it a stronger lemony taste so up to you.

cookessentials, Jul 4, 10:55pm
isn't it interesting how certain things from your childhood put you off eating them in adulthood?
However, in saying that, there is a very nice recipe that Alison Goftyn did when she did food in a minute which had sago in the pastry - it was a plum shortcake type of dessert which was very nice.

nattles88, Sep 30, 1:56am
hmm I like my sago really lemony I think I'll have to try it in the slow cooker and add the zest and just try and make it really really fine