AGEE PRESERVER

maysept, Feb 14, 10:25pm
Does anyone use one regularly? Worth the investment and do a good job? I'm considering buying one , but would appreciate hearing from someone who has actually used one. Thanks!

amazing_grace, Feb 14, 10:43pm
I have one that belonged to my mother-in-law. It must be about 40yrs old and still going strong. The waterbath method makes such a lovely job of preserving, as opposed to the overflow. You get good, firm, well shaped fruit, not sloppy stuff. And it looks pretty etc. I also believe it is more sterile and keeps better. My tips are: dont put the jars in the water after it gets to the boil, put the jars in while water is hot, then bring to the boil - this will stopp any broken jars etc. Also, dont fill the jars up too high to the top, or they will burst under pressure and make a mess of floating fruit in your preserver! I love mine, it makes 8 large jars at one time and is much less effort and mess than the overflow method.

maysept, Feb 14, 11:59pm
Oh that's good to know, thank you. I didn't know about them till recently, they look like a very cool idea!

melford, Feb 15, 7:17am
amazing grace - I don't have a manual for my agee preserver so can you tell me how long it takes for apricots to preserve and what temperature do you have it on. I am not sure actually whether my thermostat is working correctly either as when i did the salmon it kept going off the boil and I had to keep turning it up

gbking, Feb 15, 8:52am
had one for about 3 years, the results are far superior and easier than any other method. my handbook which is for a Fowlers Vacola (Aussie version of an Agee) recomends for apricots; bring to 93C allow to fall to 82C and hold at 82C for half an hour since temp first reached 93C, and use a light syrup, 1 part sugar to 4 parts water, hope this helps

amazing_grace, Feb 15, 7:08pm
x1
Melford, mine is such an old machine, it doesnt have temperature guides. It says 25min for apricots. I judge the fruit ready when there are bubble rising from the outside of the fruit to the top of the jar inside... . hope this helps.

maysept, Feb 16, 6:14am
Thank you all, you convinced me, and I bought one today (Trade Me , of course! ). Can't wait for it to arrive!

janey, Jun 22, 7:03am
Hey how much could I expect to pay for a agee preserver

guestf._harvey, Jun 16, 5:04am
x1
Check out Trade Me. Prices vary between $70 and $170, also price difference between aluminium and stainless

country_boy, Apr 6, 8:02pm
Where can you buy new agee preserve pans