What appliance do I need?

mindi1, May 17, 11:04am
I know ... it sounds like a stooopid question ~ you'd think I would know. But ...

This is me. Enjoy and do quite a bit of baking ~ have a hand held beater which serves me well. Also have a stick mixer which I use once in a blue moon if I need to whizz something in a saucepan. What I seem to lack though is a processor which will crumb biscuits, chop nuts etc ~ mainly for baking.

Am looking at buying a food processor but many of them also come with a blender. Am wondering if I need the blender bit ~ had a Breville one that died a few years ago and I have hardly missed it. Erm, when I say died, I think I actually killed it by trying to crush biscuits.

On the rare occasion I need to blitz liquid for, say a dessert, I could use my handheld or stick blender, right?

While the blender/FPs are often the same price as the FPs alone ~ e. g. a Breville food whiz one currently on special ~ they are big and take up lots of bench space.

Would love suggestions as to what I should buy. Budget up to $200. My ideal would be a kickass mixer/FP combined but those don't seem to be available. What appears to be available are blender/FP combinations. Part of me is tempted to buy one of those but the other part hates waste and doesn't want to toss out my perfectly good handheld mixer and stick mixers ... .

Decisions, decisions. Help me please oh wise ones whose advice I really respect.

lilyfield, May 17, 5:01pm
My advice for all its good to you is- save hard another year and buy a Kenwood. It will last a lifetime. You can get all sorts of attachments for it. In the meantime- your stickblender will do small jobs well and a handheld is fine -I use mine with all the family baking for 20 years before achieving my dream machine. Biscuits will crumb with a rolling pin between a towel, and there a great little push nut choppers around(zilyss)often found in second hand chops. I use mine a lot, far handier than a bulky machine to use and clean.

cookessentials, May 14, 11:45am
You can buy a good blender such as Kitchenaid which gives you a number of options from whipping, chopping, mouli and crushing ice and nuts etc. You are looking at $399 for one of these.
I use mine to puree my soups, crush ice, make smoothies, chop nuts and onions. It has a glass jug.