Weet-Bix....good?

Page 2 / 3
bedazzledjewels, Feb 12, 1:32am
Nah, travels every 3 weeks, mostly to Asia. Very ho-hum!

kiwi.adventures, Feb 13, 12:29am
ok back on topic please

accroul, Feb 13, 2:28am
Secret? what secret?
SHOUT IT OUT TO THE WORLD - have no shame!

rozke, Feb 13, 2:32am
$3. 00 New World this week

bedazzledjewels, Feb 13, 3:16am
Why are those messages deleted Yahootowers? Is the 'bug' back at it again?

accroul, Feb 13, 3:38am
Membership has been closed. I wonder what their re-incarnation will be.

bedazzledjewels, Feb 13, 3:41am
Aha, our friend has been disabled!

buzzy110, Feb 13, 4:29am
What in the world has yahoo done to deserve that?

funho1, Feb 13, 6:50am
Yahootowers - email me and let me know what happened please. Ta.

kiwi.adventures, Feb 13, 8:04am
why not?

uli, Feb 13, 10:18pm
Yeah why not have something as low fat as possible - that is what we are told to eat isn't it?

I guess once you understand the science behind the low-fat-myth and the cholesterol myth and the vegetarian myth then you very quickly ditch the whole idea and eat differently.

Until then - yeah why not? The public health system will be here for you in years to come :) - or so we all hope LOL

bedazzledjewels, Feb 13, 10:25pm
Kiwi - does Weetbix have an ingredients list? Yep!
Maybe then it ain't really food? Just a thought!

elliehen, Feb 14, 12:15am
Just a thought, sure, but maybe a simplistic one... A list of ingredients is just a break-down of constituent elements and you can refine the breakdown almost ad infinitum.

Water - hydrogen, oxygen? ? And how do you reconcile nutritional supplements and their long lists of 'ingredients' with your definition of 'real food'?

First porridge, and now weetbix under attack! Very soft targets ;)

bedazzledjewels, Feb 14, 12:21am
I don't eat Weetbix. So what?
Others enjoy it - good luck to them.
I suggested to poster #1 that he may not find the type of info he's looking for on here about Weetbix because most of us who post here aren't marathon runners as he is.
Perhaps the Sports forum might be able to help him answer his question.

bellus_sybarite, Feb 14, 12:24am
Ah huh look whos in this thread hehehehehe

bellus_sybarite, Feb 14, 12:26am
Maybe MT could help you.

buzzy110, Feb 14, 12:32am
Gosh. Questioning whether weetbix is a genuine food or not is now bringing it under attack?

Let me put the record straight. Weetbix is an overprocessed grain that bears no resemblance to the original grain it is purported to spring from. It contains wheat, salt, sugar and a selection of supplemental additives that are apparently good for you.

Now, there has been no shred of evidence that food supplements have any beneficial effect at all. There is also no evidence to support the theory that sugar (fructose/glucose/sucrose) does anything other than induce the production of insulin to process it. There is no evidence that a highly overprocessed grain, which is almost devoid of all its original nutrients still retains any of the vitality and nutritional components of the living wholegrain.

Therefore suggesting that weetbix may not really be a food is not an attack, merely a valid observation.

bellus_sybarite, Feb 14, 12:34am
Hey buzzy good to see your back.

bellus_sybarite, Feb 14, 12:37am
Grains are for Birds.

morticia, Feb 14, 12:41am
It comes down to whether you want slow burn low GI or faster burn, higher GI. If the former, then weetbix at a high GI isn't going to be your thing, and maybe not porridge oats which is considered medium GI. Ordinary porridge comes in at low, as does rolled oats.

As for the fat issue, as already mentioned, the science behind low fat has already been debunked, but our medical and dietary gurus in NZ haven't started to catch up yet.

buzzy110, Feb 14, 1:08am
No. It comes down to whether you want a rapidly diminishing energy source that is quickly burnt up or whether you want a continuous supply of energy that will provide you with stamina throughout your entire exercise period and beyond and which will not make you force your way through a wall very early on in your race.

If you want the first do continue with your grains, carbs and weetbix. If you want the second do a whole lot of research. Remember that there are still peoples in this world who can go out, spend all day on their feet, moving at speed across uneven and untarsealed country to hunt down an animal, kill it, carry that same heavy animal home across a distance, butcher it, eat it and spend the night dancing and making children. They do not eat weetbix, pasta with tomato sauce or bread. They eat protein, saturated fats and whatever berries, fruits and plant material they can gather or grow.

Just a thought.

bellus_sybarite, Feb 14, 1:12am
LOL well said :)

bedazzledjewels, Feb 14, 1:17am
There's actually a guy, Charles Washington, who runs marathons and is a strict zero carber.
Now, no way does that suit me, but it's interesting that he can function well and achieve good marathon results.
Here's a link to his blog if you're interested Kiwi.
Link: http://zerocarbforlife.com/

Then again there's Mark Sisson, ex US triathlete (4th in the Hawaii Ironman, I think) who blogs about Primal nutrition.
Link: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Someone else you might like to research is Jeff Volek who wrote the book TNT Diet looking at the best diet for male athletes.
Suggest you google him.

These are just a few ideas for you to peruse if you're interested. Most athletes are interested in improving their performance, so perhaps you'll have a look at them.
By the way, good luck with your running.

kiwi.adventures, Feb 22, 11:48pm
all I want to know is are 2 weetbix a day fine to have with some skim milk

buzzy110, Feb 23, 2:01am
Fine for what?