Boil up help please

nruter, May 6, 5:14am
Do I cook the pork for an hour or so first, maybe take fat or whatever off the top and then add potato, watercress, kumara and whatever?

Is it that simple?

ruby19, May 6, 5:40am
Not having cooked it I am no expert but googling it looks as if you cook meat/bones then add veggies about 1.5 hrs later. Hopefully someone can help you that has made it.

nruter, May 6, 6:07am
Thanks Ruby, that's the way I see it too. I Googled but there were so many recipes . . . .

sky44, May 6, 6:11am
this may help I don't think you need the chicken broth if you haven't got it
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/maori-boil-up-with-doughboys-dumplings-484352

buzzy110, May 6, 6:22am
Yep. That is how you do it. Personally I wouldn't remove the fat because that is traditional in a boil up but others do. The best way to remove the fat is to cook the bones up the day before then drain off the liquid into another container. Refrigerate the whole lot overnight and remove the solidified fat before reheating and adding the vegetables.

You can also make doughboys. I have no idea what they are but presume they are either just scone dough made into balls and boiled with the boil up 15 mins before serving or dumplings done the same way.

I have seen regular eaters of fat free boil ups with dough boys and I would prefer no dough boys and all the fat. But that is just me.

sue193, May 6, 6:50am
My method, chuck pork bones or whatever bones you want in around 2 pm, cook steadily till around 4-30 pm, add watercress and boil for an hour or 2. I don't add potatoes or dough boys now the kids have left home. Yum and good for a couple of days.

jan2242, May 6, 9:28pm
Each time it is re heated it tastes better. I love the 3rd one the best. So make enough to last a few days.

buzzy110, May 6, 11:23pm
I only add watercress as well along with onions. Most people I talk to add potatoes. I use mutton chops when I can get them.

lythande1, May 7, 12:58am
I would do it that way to get rid of some of the fat. Some is good, swimming in it is a bit yuk.

sue193, May 7, 7:17am
Mmmm. my favorite is mutton neck chops, I've never tried onions but I'm happy to try anything once.

bottynoodle, May 7, 8:04am
the French have a version called Pot Au Feur or something like that.Annabel Langbein has a recipe for it.

buzzy110, Sep 25, 7:45pm
OMG. Mutton neck chops are to die for.