Work lunches?

fekim, Oct 15, 5:20am
Sick of sandwiches which were made at 9.00pm yesterday for lunch today. Bought myself an Esky today and now have to figure out what I can take by way of stuff for a delicious sandwich free lunch.
Will salad greens keep overnight until lunch the next day? I've tried those bagged salads from Countdown but the greens always taste old and stale.
Thought about tinned Salmon but can't figure out what to have with it. Any ideas would be appreciated. TIA.

norse_westie, Oct 15, 5:25am
Fritatta is a favourite in our house - and I make it using up any left over veggies.

Jazz up a salad with some protein (fish, chicken, egg, cheese, avocado, almonds). Put a fancy sauce on when you are ready to eat it.
To some salad greens add some sliced pear, crumbled blue cheese and some walnuts.

Roast veggie salad - hot or cold.
Soup.
Left over dinner from the night before.
Fruit salad and yoghurt.
Dried fruit compote.

fekim, Oct 15, 5:29am
See. There's things here n-w I would never have thought of, and of that you've listed Avocado and Blue cheese are the only things not in my pantry. Thank you.

cottagerose, Oct 15, 5:40am
I take salad in my chilly bin to work with a little container of dressing to add when I have it.
I put a thin slicker pad in the bin but stand it up on the side so my salad doesn't get frost bite. This happened once when I sat my salad on the slicker pad

duckmoon, Oct 15, 6:41am
I take salad ingredients in one container. cold meat in another. and a wrap. and I make it up when I sit down at lunchtime

fekim, Oct 15, 8:24am
The bin I bought has two slicker pads clipped into the lid so they're a distance away from the food.
Tomorrow, I've allowed a small tin of Salmon in one container, some sliced tomato and red onion in another, sliced cucumber in another, and some Asparagus in another. A little container of grapes, and a small bag with some nut and raisin mix. Containers are small and all together it should be a tasty meal. I only have a half hour break and need something quick and nourishing.

valentino, Oct 15, 7:39pm
Extra dinner serving to be kept for lunches.

Most meals will work.

madj, Oct 22, 10:46am
My recent favourite is if I make a roast chicken with roast veges etc for dinner, but I put in a few extra pumpkin, kumara and potato. For lunch I cook some brown rice, some mixed veges and add to that some left over chicken, and the roast veges. I actually prefer to eat this cold!

Another lunch is homemade falafel and a salad with some garlic hummus.

Another is a salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber, avocado, a can of flavoured tuna (sweet chilli is nice) and some almond flakes. trust me a whole lot nicer than it sounds!

You could make a microwave poached egg on a piece of toast 'buttered' with avocado.

That's all I can think of right now, I usually take something like above, or left overs from dinner and my standard plain yogurt and 2 pieces of fruit. And I also only get 1/2 an hour for lunch!

awoftam, Dec 12, 10:14pm
Make some Knackebrot - its so easy, delicious and extremely nutritious, makes a ton, keeps well:

http://www.bite.co.nz/recipe/9866/Knackebrot-Swedish-crackers/

then just top with tomato, or avo (or both); cheese, anything you want really. Sometimes I pop some crab apple jelly or the like on if I want something sweet with a cuppa. I have a batch in the oven now.