Kidneys.

korbo, Oct 24, 7:50am
Had the most lovely lunch today, something I have never had.
Was making a steak & kidney casserole for dinner, and had too many kidneys
,sooooo. bit of butter in pan, little bit of chopped onion, cut the remainder of kidneys really small, put them in, dash of worc sauce and bit of a teaspn of raw sugar and just left them to sizzle away. They were so nice, and to think in alll my years,(apart from in a casserole). I had never cooked or eaten them like that.

sla11, Oct 24, 8:35am
It's a generation thing! My late Mother's fav breakfast was Kidneys on toast. Mind you back then such foods were Offal and dirt cheap to buy. No wonder they were healthy souls with no lack of iron! I still really enjoy a good feed of Liver and Bacon - but most turn their nose up at the thought of it!

socram, Oct 24, 8:46am
LOL. Donkey's years ago, whenever I got a pay rise, the special treat was grilled kidneys added to my regular 4 poached eggs, bacon, tomatoes and toast for breakfast! Yes, 4 eggs, every day.

lythande1, Oct 24, 6:33pm
Sugar, yuk.
Try this:

6 lambs’ kidneys, about 375g/13oz, skinned
1 medium onion, finely sliced
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp English mustard
1–2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

valentino, Oct 24, 7:23pm
Another to add to this list of Kidneys. YUMMMMM.

Recipe: Devilled lamb kidneys & silverbeet

Serves 2

INGREDIENTS

10 fresh lambs' kidneys

1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

60ml canola oil

1 onion, sliced

1 clove garlic, crushed

200g silverbeet leaves

1⁄4 cup white wine

100ml cream

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1 tablespoon lemon juice

METHOD

1. To prepare the kidneys, rinse under cold water then pat dry with kitchen paper. Slice each kidney in half lengthways then cut out and discard the white fat and sinew. Season the kidneys with the black pepper, cayenne pepper and a little salt.

2. Heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic until browned then add the silverbeet leaves. Pour the wine over then cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until the leaves have wilted. Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside, covered, to keep warm.

3. Heat the same frying pan until hot and almost smoking then add the remaining 30ml oil. Fry the kidneys for 2-3 minutes each side or until browned and cooked medium.

4. Remove the kidneys from the pan and place on top of the silverbeet then immediately pour the cream, Worcestershire sauce, mustards and lemon juice into the frying pan. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then boil until reduced by half. Pour the cream sauce over the kidneys then serve.

valentino, Oct 24, 7:24pm
And another.

Recipe: Devilled Lamb's Kidneys with Cherry Tomatoes and Radishes
Serves 2
• 6 lamb's kidneys
• 3 tbsp flour
• 1 tsp cayenne (more if you like it hot)
• 1 tsp English mustard powder
• 6 radishes (with leaves)
• 1 tbsp rice bran oil
• 2 shallots, finely diced
• 2 tsp sherry vinegar
• Knob of butter
• 10 cherry tomatoes, whole
• Generous pinch salted capers
• ¼ cup chicken stock
• Chopped flat leaf parsley
1. We'll begin by preparing the kidneys. Place a kidney on its "back" with its "eye" facing up. Slice it in half along its length, then peel the outer skin. Place the kidney on the board, cut face down. There'll be a small fatty gristly bit sticking out from the "eye". Pin it own to the board with the tip of your nails. Place your knife's blade between your nails and the kidney and then, without pressing too hard on the blade so not to cut through, gently push the knife away from your fingers in a slow sawing motion, dragging the kidney itself along with it but leaving behind said fatty gristly bit.
2. Mix thoroughly the flour, cayenne pepper and mustard.
3. Separate the radishes from the leaves and slice them in half lengthways. Retain the leaves.
4. Have your plates ready. This is going to be quick and you don't want the kidneys sitting in a hot pan. They'll overcook and will be no fun.
5. Heat the oil in a frying pan large enough to hold the kidneys in one layer. While the oil is heating, bathe the kidneys in the seasoned flour and shake them well to remove any excess. A sieve is ideal for this. When the oil is very hot but not smoking, place the kidneys cut face down on the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook for around 2 minutes and flip. Cook for another minute and now, you gotta be quick.
6. Throw in your diced shallots, stir it up and cook for 30 seconds. Splash in the vinegar and a knob of butter and swirl it all around to melt it. Add the tomatoes, radishes, capers and a bit of salt and swirl again just to frighten the veg.
7. Turn the heat up all the way and add your chicken stock. Let it reduce just a little. Add the radish leaves, one more swirl and on to the plate they go.
8. Serve sprinkled with the parsley and a grind of pepper and your own offal feast is ready. Toasted crusty bread wouldn't go amiss.

jan2242, Oct 24, 10:33pm
I love pig's kidneys - larger, cheaper and not as strong in flavour.

aisling8, Oct 25, 5:34am
Have always used the Edmonds recipe for kidneys. Used to have it for lunch a lot when we were on the farm. For a meal at night we had nice well done bacon slices with it and mashed potatoes.

petal1955, Dec 11, 10:54am
This is divine!

Sherried Kidneys
2 lambs kidneys
25g butter
1 garlic clove chopped finely
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 tsp flour
2 Tbsp Sherry (I use more)
1/4 cup water
FResh herbs

Halve the kidneys and remove the white core ,rinse and sliced thinly. Heat butter in pan and kidney and cook about a minute till all pinkness has gone. Remove from pan and keep warm. Add a little more butter and cook the garlic and onion till soft but not brown.Stir in the flour then add the sherry and water .then add fresh chopped herbs of your choice. Add kidney and warm through. Serve on toast with crispy bacon.