Too many Dates. what do you

Page 1 / 2
bev00, Nov 1, 10:13am
Delicous Date Loaf - From the Canvas Magazine 24th October

1 1/2 Cups chopped pitted dates
3/4 Cup water
zest and juice of 1 orange
1/2 Cup Milk
150gms butter at room tempreture (cubed)
1 1/2 cups of brown sugar
1 free range egg at room tempreture
1 free range egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla Essence or paste
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground ginger

Preheat the oven to 160C regular bake
Grease and flour a loaf tin (about 23 x 10)

Add the dates to a small saucepan with the water, orange zest and juice and simmer for 5-10 mins until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Stir in the milk set aside and let cool.
Cream the butter and sugar till pale and fluffy. Add the egg and the egg yolk one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down the sides once or twice. Beat in the vanilla.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, mixed spice and ginger and whisk to combine.
Add the flour mixture, cooled dates mixture to the creamed mixture and fold gently to combine evenly until lump free. Scrape the mixture into the loaf tin and smooth out the top.
Bake 1 hour 20 mins or until a skewer comes out of the centre clean
Remove from the oven and cool for 10-15 mins in the tin then finish cooling on a wire rack.
This loaf is lovely served sliced and buttered.

coralsnake, Nov 1, 10:29am
Date milk shakes.

gilligee, Nov 2, 12:34am
Annabelle Langbein has a stunning chocolate brownie using dates.

melford, Nov 2, 12:48am
Date Slice from the Edmonds book - delicious!
Baked apples stuffed with dates and brown sugar.

rebecca18, Nov 2, 3:13am
Unsweetened Apricot and Date Balls with Brazil Nuts

* I adore these delicious little sweets, ideal for children. Be warned, they are utterly moreish!

Simmer, covered, 1/2 cup of finely chopped dried apricots and 1/4 cup of freshly squeezed orange juice (not orange zest), over a low heat, for approximately 10 minutes or until soft. Add more orange juice if necessary.
To the above mixture, add 1/2 cup milk powder, 1/4 cup chopped brazil nuts, 1 tb lightly toasted sesame seed, 1 cup finely chopped dates and 1/4 cup coconut. Mix all the ingredients together well and cool slightly. Shape into small balls and roll in coconut. Cool completely. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

tjman, Nov 2, 3:17am
Date Chutney
Ingredients
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon whole cloves
300g fresh dates, pitted
3/4 cup malt vinegar
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Select all ingredients

linette1, Nov 2, 3:41am
I would like to try this one myself.
Kaffir Lime & Date Chutney . Swapped the raisins for dates as per: https://lyndahallinan.com/recipes/
1kg limes, 2 onions, 3 apples, 400ml cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 cup dates, 2 1/4 cups white sugar, 8 large kaffir lime leaves.
Cut ends off limes and slice thinly. Peel and chop apples and onions. Put in a large pot with vinegar, salt, ginger and dates. Simmer for an hour. Remove the central rib of the kaffir lime leaves and slice into thin strips. Add with sugar to the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until satisfactorily thick. Pour into hot jars and seal.

miri_s, Nov 3, 2:49am
Swipe right a little less often.

samanya, Nov 5, 6:11am
If you want to use less sugar . this is from the Revive Cookbook series. I've used it & I find that it freezes well, if you can't use the lot in a couple of weeks
"Sweeteners/Honey/Date Puree
The recipes do not use added refined sugar. The
most convenient natural sweetener is liquid honey
which I have used in all recipes requiring sweetening.
Alternatively make up a batch of date puree
which is an excellent and inexpensive
sweetener.
To make date puree, simply blend equal
amounts of dates and water into a smooth puree.
This will keep in your refrigerator for a couple
of weeks.
There are also other healthy sweeteners available
such as apple sauce, agave and maple syrup."

beebs, Nov 12, 5:49am
Freeze them and eat them straight out of the freezer. lollies!

taurus2005, Nov 18, 11:20pm
I always make 2 date loaves, when cold slice and freeze. Take out a couple of pieces out when I want a treat or have friends over.

rubeat, Nov 20, 10:06am
date and cream cheese sammies are yum !

krust6, Nov 20, 10:44am
Bliss balls. Yummy

rainrain1, Nov 20, 10:52pm
Add some chopped crystalized ginger to that. nice as well.

sarahb5, Nov 20, 11:46pm
I buy fresh dates - they are my sweet treat of choice

dreamers, Nov 21, 12:25am
Have just made this and agree it’s yummy,though I cut the sugar to 1 cup and also added an overripe banana.

popeye333, Mar 13, 8:12pm
use dates for. ?

I love them but don't want to live in date loaves lol

unknowndisorder, Mar 13, 8:36pm
Sticky date pudding/muffins.

rainrain1, Mar 13, 8:41pm
Snack on them

cgvl, Mar 13, 9:20pm
Stuffed with cream cheese, date scones, Use your loaf recipe to make muffins instead. Can be used in recipe as a substitute for other fruit. Boiled in a little water and made into a paste can be used as a sub for sugar.

wendalls, Mar 13, 9:25pm
Muesli bars with dates as the sweetener.very trendy these days and there will be heaps of low carb, paleo recipes if you google. There is one called bliss balls i think. you could even try whipping up your own creation in a food processor. Dates, nuts and whatever else you have.

davidt4, Mar 13, 9:47pm
I add them to Moroccan tagines and Turkish pilavs, also good in a salad or orange, red onion and olives.

korbo, Mar 14, 12:10am
they keep well if put in the fridge. we just eat them, like lollies sometimes.

andrew697, Mar 14, 12:10am

awoftam, Mar 14, 5:54am
You can't grow dates here, can you?