What are these used for?

lyndunc, May 29, 4:54am
So I bought this little whodacky but I don't know how to use those things on the right of the picture. They seem to fit in the "gun" thing. I tried them with shortbread but it wasn't successful, I thought they would come out in circles with the pattern on top. My other thought was maybe they would work better with a biscuit or cookie dough.
Can anybody help please? Novice baker. again!

strowan1, May 29, 5:06am
I think they are cookie cutters, but your dough would need to be of slacker consistency to enable it to be forced out of some of the smaller holes. Sorry if not a cookie cutter then not sure what, will watch other replies with interest.

unknowndisorder, May 29, 5:09am
Yes, cookie cutters. Dough will come out in various patterns, but not circle with pattern on top.
Basic dough recipe:
300g plain flour
200g sugar
230g butter or margarine
4 egg yolks
Pinch salt
1c milk

Put flour in bowl, mix in sugar and salt.

Make a well in the Center and add egg yolks, mix with a fork.

Add butter melted over water bath, then add milk and mix with your hands until thoroughly mixed.

For chocolate, add 50g Cocoa and 16g baking powder.

Don't use a baking sheet or hot tray as the mix won't come out cleanly.

lyndunc, May 29, 5:21am
Interesting, I tried putting icing through and it came out as a blob, although it was probably too runny. Will try when I get on to making cookies and see what happens. I did press the gun thing onto a spare piece of dough and it sort of worked with the pattern on top, but it seemed kind of pointless - I could just use a cookie cutter instead and press some kind of pattern on top. Such fun this all is!

korbo, May 29, 5:23am
awe, my mouth is watering. My mum had one of these, and used to make busicuts using a jelly instead of sugar. she used to put a whole strip along the tray, then cut them, and put together with vanilla icing.
I can almost taste them.

unknowndisorder, May 29, 5:26am
Have you got the recipe ? Was that using the cookie cutter part or the icing part? (Just bought one the other week and needing to play a bit lol) :)

lythande1, May 29, 6:20am

See here, shows biscuits using the discs, well how it's meant to work anyway. :-)

sarahb5, May 29, 6:20am
It’s a cookie press - I’m sure google will help you with recipes for suitable dough for piped cookies

lyndunc, May 29, 6:20am
Just to add to my confusion I went back to where I got it from and it was described as follows: Living & Co Cake Decorating Set 42 Piece - the operative words being Cake Decorating. Unfortunately it didn't come with instructions!

fifie, May 29, 6:23am
Had one of these years ago, it was called a biscuit forcer. From memory you had to use a recipe with heaps of butter in it for it to work, just place the chosen disc on the end fill it up with dough and bingo you had a tray of these fancy biscuits. it was hard work, squeezing them out, kids loved them and iced them the way they wanted lol Google old biscuit forcer, plenty of pics there.

nauru, May 29, 6:30am
Yes, I noticed that they described it as a cake decorating set too. There are lots of cookie press videos on youtube, joyofbaking is just one of many, fun to watch and fun to make. One of the things my grandies like to make when they visit. We have Christmas trees galore with green sugar sprinkles at Christmas.

lyndunc, May 29, 6:43am
Thank you so much for your help. Just used one for putting icing on my shortbread. and no, I won't show you a picture of that little mess. Will have a look at those cookie press video although it sounds like it might be a bit beyond me at the moment, but will keep in mind for later as I get more confident!

nauru, May 29, 6:43am
I've put the link for joyofbaking spritz cookies, worth a watch. The dough recipe is on there too.


olwen, May 29, 7:51am
This. Fifty years ago I was quite good. Used to make little shortbready bikkies.

autumnwinds, May 29, 8:20am
Spritz cookies are the easiest to make with a cookie press. Some crushed candy canes on top, makes perfect Christmas gift, Spritz cookies are the crisp, buttery Scandinavian-type cookie you get in tins (often blue/gold coloured tins).

Tip when baking them: slide off the trays onto clean newspapers, leave until cool. The paper takes all the excess butter out, leaving them lovely and crisp.

autumnwinds, May 29, 8:43am
This is my recipe that I've used for many years - easy, makes heaps. Enjoy!

Classic Spritz Cookies are an easy way to add variety to a tray of cookies. A cookie press lets you change disks to produce many different shapes. Serve them plain, sprinkled with decorations or sugars, frosted or dipped in melted candy!
1/2 teaspoon no-color almond extract
1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla Extract, 2 Oz.
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups butter (softened)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk

1 - Preheat oven to 350ºF.

2 - In bowl, combine flour and baking powder. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg, milk, vanilla and almond extract; mix well. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture; beat until combined. Do not chill. Fill cookie press with dough and with desired disks, press cookies onto ungreased cookie sheet.

3 - Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheet on cooling rack. Remove from sheet; cool completely.

ETA: Clear vanilla can be bought at Spotlight and cake decorating shops, keeps the dough colour nice and pale, You can, of course, use regular vanilla extract, but they'll be darker.

sherbet05, May 29, 9:15am
I have one and I use the Edmond's shortbread recipe in it, just with a little extra water to make the dough softer. Its sort of hard to explain how the dough comes out to make the biscuit shape, but for example the one with 9 holes would make a kind of flower shape. Some of the shapes you have look like they would be pretty tricky to push a cookie dough through though, my set has patterns that are nowhere near that fine (also yours being plastic may make it more difficult to push dough through too, not sure). Hope this helps :)

Edit: This picture should help you get an idea of what the shapes do, even though yours are different https://i.imgur.com/BhXLrOd.png

pugswal, May 29, 9:54am
Mum had one years ago. Sawa - I think that was the name. You have to place the thing on the tray, then squeeze the lever, then lift it up. Need the right consistency dough.

autumnwinds, May 29, 10:48am
It could be it was Sawa, although they produce mainly some very specialised commercial kitchen appliances.

I'm not saying it wasn't but I suspect that your mother's one was of the Tala brand, a similar sounding name, but long producing smaller, home kitchenware.

""Tala is one of the oldest and best loved of kitchenware brands. A trusted supplier of baking and cake decorating equipment since 1899, Tala has grown to supply cooks and bakers all over the world. It is perhaps best known for the Tala Dry Cook's Measure, an iconic symbol of British baking. It is during the 1920s that we can find the first records of it, which means it is now approaching 100 successful years of production in the UK. ""

There's a lot of retro Tala cooking equipment on Pinterest, eBay and other internet sites

lyndunc, May 29, 6:41pm
Thank you everyone so much for your help. This has given me much more of an idea about what my whodacky can do!

doree36, May 29, 8:37pm
I have one - it is called a Sawa 71 cookie press. Looked in google and there it is all about it. Hope that helps . have had mine for many years and still use it . I am 82 years old now, but still love to cook - anything !

lyndunc, Sep 12, 11:20am
Oh wow, just had a look at the video demonstrating it and it looks as though it will be fun to use. Will let you all know how I get on - thanks everyone!

Share this thread

Buy me a coffee :)Buy me a coffee :)