Herika - help please

gaspodetwd, May 8, 6:26am
My Dh ( same sort of foods to avoid as you)has worked out that he is always ill on a Saturday - and we seem to have pinpointed the 100%pure maple syrup! ! ! ? ? ? it is either that or the coffee - we grind the beans at home and he drinks it black. Any ideas - which is most likely to trigger the gluten response?

herika, May 8, 8:30pm
Hi gaspodetwd. It may not be a gluten problem, I cant see gluten anywhere in the maple syrup or coffee. But it may just be that the syrup is too much of a concentrated form of sugars for him, or he may have a related tree nut allergy. He may need to use an Epi-pen.
It may be a cross reaction thing:if he has probs with peanuts he may be sensitive to legumes, same as apple to birch. What about a latex sensitivity. I read somewhere it can be hard to know if its a reaction to the syrup as sometimes the maple sap plugs are treated or contaminated with formaldehyde (could they be contaminated with gluten? ). You could try pure, raw agave nector (buy from health shop), I wouldnt have it as the word agave means diarrhoea to me - yuck! Im not really sure what else it could be, I hope this is of some help :)

herika, May 8, 8:32pm
p. s. To totally rule out gluten I would need to know everything else he ate the day before and on the day just in case there was some gluten "hiding" there somewhere.

herika, May 16, 8:18pm
Hope you saw this :)

buzzy110, Jan 29, 11:01pm
Herika, I thought I'd tag along on this thread because it saves starting another.

I was reading the Gluten Free Cooking thread and I notice you mentioned eggs that came from chooks that have a wheat free diet.

I want to bake my gluten intolerant friend a lovely cake when she comes to stay but eggs feature a lot in GF baking.

I was wondering, therefore, if you could give me some idea of the sorts of shops to go for to find 'wheat free' eggs so that I can start looking around for a source.

Thanks so much, also, for your invaluable advice in all things gluten.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 30, 1:57am
Poster #1 - could it be something he's eating late on Friday?

herika, Jan 30, 7:40pm
Hi buzzy,
Good to hear from you again.I get my eggs from a friend but to find eggs I could eat before I did that, I just had to try different brands until I found ones I didnt react badly to.I dont think Im going to be much help to you other than suggesting you ask your friend which brand of egg she buys or you could check out any markets in your area. Let me know how you get on.
Best wishes

buzzy110, Jan 30, 11:25pm
Ha. I suspected that might be the answer I'd get back. Yes. I will try the markets and also ask up at Huckleberry Farms and Ceres. They might be able to help.

Thanks for the information anyway. Will also ask my friend but as she comes from the 'Naki, their shops may be supplied by different farmers even though the eggs come from the same Co-op.

Maybe I might get a few of my own chooks again. Had a dozen at one point but I hated seeing the poor wee things cooped up in a small area so I let them out and they pooed everywhere and also dug up my garden. Ha ha. Funny now but not at the time. Does your friend feed her chooks on rice, maize, millet, buckwheat and stuff like that instead of wheat based grain?

gaspodetwd, May 8, 6:26am
My Dh ( same sort of foods to avoid as you)has worked out that he is always ill on a Saturday - and we seem to have pinpointed the 100%pure maple syrup!! it is either that or the coffee - we grind the beans at home and he drinks it black. Any ideas - which is most likely to trigger the gluten response!

herika, May 8, 8:30pm
Hi gaspodetwd.It may not be a gluten problem, I cant see gluten anywhere in the maple syrup or coffee.But it may just be that the syrup is too much of a concentrated form of sugars for him, or he may have a related tree nut allergy. He may need to use an Epi-pen.
It may be a cross reaction thing:if he has probs with peanuts he may be sensitive to legumes,same as apple to birch.What about a latex sensitivity.I read somewhere it can be hard to know if its a reaction to the syrup as sometimes the maple sap plugs are treated or contaminated with formaldehyde (could they be contaminated with gluten!).You could try pure, raw agave nector (buy from health shop), I wouldnt have it as the word agave means diarrhoea to me - yuck!Im not really sure what else it could be, I hope this is of some help :)

herika, May 8, 8:32pm
p.s. To totally rule out gluten I would need to know everything else he ate the day before and on the day just in case there was some gluten "hiding" there somewhere.