Bone Broth.

Page 2 / 2
wendalls, Aug 21, 7:30am
im glad you guys said that as I read that article inthe herald. the organic bit annoyed me too. It made me feel bad about doing it wrong if I didn't use organic.

samanya, Aug 21, 7:50am
Some people are way too precious. Better have bone broth than KFC.

awoftam, Aug 21, 8:03am
Ha ha yes samanya. Spot on.

uli, Aug 21, 8:43am
There is actually a very good benefit in bones that are "organic" - however if you think no chemicals are harmful then it is a waste of space to explain I guess.

twelve12, Aug 21, 8:46am
If you didn't imbibe chemicals, you'd be dead in minutes.

uli, Aug 21, 8:56am
Yeah - of course you can split hairs until the cows come home.
You know what I meant above.

twelve12, Aug 21, 9:02am
Still doesn't mean much.
Organic farmers can use some seriously toxic stuff. it just has to be organically derived.

The label "organic" means very little.

uli, Aug 21, 11:12pm
If you would look into the rules and regulations of what it means to be certified organic (Biogro, Demeter etc) then you would see what I mean.

twelve12, Aug 21, 11:41pm
I have. Biogrow at any rate.
My husband also works in agriculture and I know organic farmers.

rainrain1, Aug 22, 1:10am
All non organic here, so you will never convince me in a million years,

uli, Aug 22, 9:21am
Why would I want to convince anyone?

Everyone makes their own decisions and then lives with the consequences. That is what life is all about.

rainrain1, Aug 22, 9:56am
Amen

schnauzer11, Aug 22, 12:37pm
I just wish the "Bone-Broth" brigade would just advise people to stick all the (smashed) bones in the pressure-cooker,for an hour or so as I have done for years, and stop faffing-about as if days on the stove is something magical.

schnauzer11, Aug 22, 12:41pm
Rubbish. Invest in a pressure-cooker.I've lived in China, and most Chinese would think your idea of some "master-stock" a huge laugh!

mjhdeal, Aug 22, 5:33pm
What texture is your stock/broth?
I do my chicken one overnight (12 hours) - a length of time I insist is completely lacking in faffery, as I do it in the slow-cooker. Ingredients in, turn on, walk away. Anyway, the end-product, once cooled, is a pretty fabulous jelly.

mjhdeal, Aug 22, 5:40pm
I think it is good that it is remarketed as a 'Bone Broth' - 'Bone Broth' has a nourishing allure that 'stock' doesn't have, so might inspire people to give it a go. Also (importantly) differentiates it from oxo cubes or packet stock.

Also, not sure about it being a money-making exercise. My 'bone broth' (I admit, in my head, I still refer to it as stock) is made from scraps. Bits of onion, carrot, celery, leftover bones, etc, that would normally get chucked out, I put in a freezer bag until my next batch is required. Then I'll buy some fresh bones/chicken carcasses (maybe $3?). Those who buy it are missing out on the best part, making something great from 'waste'!

twelve12, Aug 22, 10:08pm
There's apparently something to be said for slow-cooking it. Heating past a certain temp (about 80) breaks apart the long chain amino acids.
So you want it between about 60 and 80 for a long time (I just do min on low in the slow cooker. It's beyond simple, and you can keep topping it up when you take some). It also makes a more clear liquid, without so much gunk suspended in it.

davidt4, Aug 22, 11:01pm
Very good point. It is obvious from posts on this message board that some cooks think that "stock" means a cube or a powder and then wonder why their soups and stews don't taste good.

I don't understand why there is so much jeering at bone broth enthusiasts. They are not hurting anyone or causing anyone to waste money and in fact are encouraging good household practice: making use of animal parts that would otherwise be wasted, and extracting maximum nutrition for food.

vmax2, Dec 7, 2:11am
Well said davidt4.