Anyone watch Save with Jamie?

Page 2 / 2
lythande1, Jul 6, 7:58pm
This is the best program he has done IMO. I liked the pork. however you don't have to buy a big roast then make stuff out of the rest like he does.
You can use his recipes if you like them, but it works with things like hangi pork too.
I don't buy giant roasts, I buy smaller ones.
The put things in the freezer I have done for years. it's also a good way to have something ready for quick cooking too, never mind savings.
Quite similar to Rachel Rays 5 in a Day idea.
Except I do it, and not have the same thing all week. mix it up so there is some variety.
And we NZers win on pork price.

bedazzledjewels, Jul 6, 9:27pm
A good tip about the apples for apple sauce too.

motorbo, Jul 7, 12:44am
we win on pork price? we don't win at all, they import pork from countries cheaply god knows how the animal is raised or what its injected with - I for one value my body more than that, not to mention the pigs last week on tv living with copious amounts of rats crawling everywhere and having to live in tight quarters next to a dead pig, and feeding her babies standing up with no way to nurture them. this kind of thing breaks my heart because it makes me think have we all become so greedy that we are willing to accept this in order to sit down and eat pork for dinner. im not

I would only buy freedom farm pork or organic if I was buying it.

I notice Jamie does not mention what kind of pork he is using, I think in this day they should, and why focus every valued priced meal around meat, some don't eat meat, some don't eat red meat. though I enjoy the show I would like to see some variety I did feel he used the oven a lot for long periods of time and wondered if this was factored into the costs.

goodbooks, Jul 7, 1:35am
I enjoyed the show too - and watched it again on +1

The Vegetable Korma didn't use meat last night as it was all vegetables:

Ingredients
1 heaped teaspoon flaked almonds
2 large sweet potatoes
olive oil
1 red onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 thumb-sized piece of ginger
1/2 a bunch of fresh coriander (15g)
1/2-1 fresh red chilli, (optional)
1 handful of curry leaves
1 heaped tablespoon korma curry paste
1 x 400 g tin of chickpeas
1 large cauliflower
1/2-1 lemon
50 g feta cheese, (optional)
4 tablespoons fat-free natural yoghurt

I always get very excited when I can create massive, delicious flavours in curries without using any meat, and as well as being good for you, it's good for your wallet too. To mix things up a bit, instead of using rice I've cooked cauliflower in such a way here that it looks, feels and acts like rice – it's really delicious. Have a go at this tasty recipe and I promise, even your most carnivorous all-man geezer mates will be happy.

Start by toasting the almonds in a large casserole pan until lightly golden, then tip out and set aside. Scrub the sweet potatoes clean, then cut into 4cm chunks and put them into the pan on a medium heat with a lug of oil. Fry for about 5 minutes, or until golden, while you peel the onion, garlic and ginger, then finely slice them with the coriander stalks and chilli (if using – it will give the sauce a real kick). Add the curry leaves to the pan and stir for 1 minute, then add all the sliced veg with the curry paste and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the onions have softened, stirring occasionally. Add the chickpeas (juice and all) with 600ml of boiling water, then bring everything to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for around 30 minutes, or until thickened.

Meanwhile, click off and chop the cauliflower leaves, then finely slice the stalk and add both to the curry for the rest of the cooking time. Cut the florets into even-sized chunks and pulse in a food processor until it's the same texture and size as rice. Tip it into a microwave-safe dish and cover. Steam or microwave the cauliflower on high for 7 minutes, or until cooked through, just before serving.

Add a good squeeze of lemon juice to the curry, then season to perfection and crumble over the feta (if using – I think of it here as a nod towards Indian paneer, and it adds a lovely subtle bit of extra flavour). Dollop over the yoghurt and stir it through for that korma creaminess (or serve on the side, if you prefer), then sprinkle with coriander leaves and the toasted almonds. Tip the cauliflower on to a nice serving platter, and dig in.

Whether it's delicious vegetarian or vegan recipes you're after, or ideas for gluten or dairy-free dishes, you'll find plenty here to inspire you. For more info on how we classify our lifestyle recipes please read our special diets fact sheet, or or for more information on how to plan your meals please see our special diets guidance.

Tip - I've used shop-bought paste here, but to save even more pennies, why not try making your own.
Nutritional Information Amount per serving:

Calories 334 17%
Carbs 48.7g 21%
Sugar 13.6g 15%
Fat 7.9g 11%
Saturates 1.1g 6%
Protein 13.6g 30%

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/veggie-korma-mock-cauliflower-pilau

karlymouse, Jul 7, 1:35am
Did you not notice he did a vegetarian curry last night ?

And I think the point that the 60 minute show was making last week was that the farm in question with the rats etc had a Freedom Park sticker ?

Its all perception - if you want to imagine your animals were frolicking in the sunshine just before they were killed - if you can't deal with any alternative to that then meat eating is not for you.

goodbooks, Jul 7, 1:38am
We'll try the meatloaf, we haven't added any kind of cheese before, the feta sounds good.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/pork-meatloaf-spaghetti-sauce

buzzy110, Jul 7, 1:59am
Good to see that you are filling the gap left by Uli.

I'd also just like to point out that in comparison to meat, pulses and soy protein products are cheap anyway so there is probably not the same need to figure out cheaper ways of cooking them, unlike meat, which can be quite expensive.

buzzy110, Jul 7, 2:05am
I didn't see anything in the news items to suggest that the farm had a Freedom Farms certification. What I saw was that the appropriate government body that oversees farms and animal welfare, etc, had given it their certification. Obviously the government department involved has very, very low standards and employs people who have no experience experience or expertise in that area. Maybe they just employ school children doing an after school part time job as their inspectors.

kaddiew, Jul 7, 2:45am
How about keeping this thread for the recipes in the Save with Jamie Show - as was intended - for those of us who enjoy it.

A debate on the rearing and consumption of - shock horror - meat is for a different thread.

bedazzledjewels, Jul 7, 3:07am
Re roasting that pork shoulder last night, did he cook it initially very high for 1-1/2 hours? That seemed about an hour too long, but I probably misheard him. It looked so delicious. I'm quite impressed with this series too. He's not so "try hard" in this show.

holly-rocks, Jul 7, 3:18am
Im sure he said an hour and a half too! it seamed like ages! I found this recipe online, think its the same one, it says cook at the higher temp for 30 mins ~ http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/6-hour-slow-roasted-pork-shoulder
Maybe its for a smaller joint of meat from last nights show.

kaddiew, Jul 7, 3:20am
Yes that's correct. Just watched it again. One and a half hours @ 220C, then add onion, herbs etc. Turn down to 130C for another 2 hours, then add the apples, and back in for the final 2 hours.

motorbo, Jul 7, 3:22am
yes i did see the vege dish my oppsss lol I forgot he did that. i do love Jamie and his shows and im not anti meat, but I am anti cheap meats where one does not know how it was raised or looked after. we don't need to be cruel to farm and enjoy food. look at how many people now only buy free range eggs because they have seen the life a caged chicken has. the media and advertising of these companies hide things from us all . I was so naïve and I still am I have so much to learn .

perception? sorry but how can that be when we saw the imagines on tv.
you have a choice to buy that meat and eat it, and i have a choice too, do you trust overseas farmers.

karlymouse]Did you not notice he did a vegetarian curry last night ?

And I think the point that the 60 minute show was making last week was that the farm in question with the rats etc had a Freedom Park sticker ?

Its all perception - if you want to imagine your animals were frolicking in the sunshine just before they were killed - if you can't deal with any alternative to that then meat eating is not for you.[/quote]

resolutionx, Jul 7, 3:25am
You can ask the actual butchers (At the Mad Butcher) out the back and if they have that cut they can trim the fat off and you can get the weigh of meat you require.

lythande1, Jul 7, 3:27am
Whatever. $5.99kg. I'm happy with that.

motorbo, Jul 7, 3:28am
of course you do, its going into your body so it is your choice

esther-anne, Jul 7, 3:43am
Idle question? How old is that show? I thought Jamie looked about 25 or has been resorting to a little bittie botox!

And the pork programme was scrumptious and very thrifty with the three meals he managed to get from that one delicious piece of pork.

bedazzledjewels, Jul 7, 3:52am
I think it's a year old. He's doing series 2 and the book is out for what were seeing. He looked more "thick-set" in the face I thought. Less of a kid having a bit of a lark around!

motorbo, Jul 7, 5:00am
I saw him on tv recently and he looks slimmer

esther-anne, Jul 8, 4:45am
Hmmm - will wait until next week and have another look at him.

I am certain there is something different which makes him look younger - is it the darker floppy hair I wonder?

Or maybe I should have gone to specsavers?

artkat, Jul 8, 5:31am
Those of you that have found brisket - what sort of cost are we looking at?

wheelmann, Jul 8, 8:08am
For a nice brisket with some marbling I pay $15 per kilo from a good butcher. You can get it at about $10 from an average butcher but the quality can vary greatly and rarely with any marbling. To be cooking something for 6 hours or more and be not sure whether it will work is not worth the effort. I spend a few extra dollars to make sure it's a good product to start with.

The piece that Jamie used was the flat of the brisket which is the toughest piece to cook. So you need to get the flat with some marbling otherwise tough and dry will be the result. I normally slow cook the point end but do a fair bit of trimming of the fat beforehand.

sandra25, Jul 9, 9:29pm
Just saw on Facebook the Export Meat Warehouse have Boneless Brisket for $9.99/kg this week.

l*****1, Jul 1, 9:03am
Looks a lot like a pot roast.