Kidneys are not offal.

Page 2 / 2
fifie, Apr 16, 11:15pm
Coming from a farm back in the day we ate offal quite a bit. Casseroled liver and bacon with peas and a nice gravy, tripe and onions in a nice creamy white parsley sauce over mashed potatoes, Kidneys pan fried with sage and onion mixed in gravy on toast, sweetbreads either crumbed or in a garlic/parsley white sauce, are still favs we have today when you can get them. Other one was herb stuffed sheeps hearts, just like eating chicken, nice with mash veg and gravy.

wasgonna, Apr 17, 3:31am
Stuffed sheeps hearts . yummy, yummy.

samanya, Apr 17, 6:58am
The way I do it with plenty of fresh herbs, doesn't need bacon imo & It's the bacon that reminds me of the cr** way of cooking lambs fry/liver that I had to endure as a child. & was made to eat, because it was so good for me! It was puke making to me as a kid & I was put off for life. Not game to try iy again but I'm sure most people enjoy it that way . it's a classic, isn't it.

wendalls, Apr 18, 6:45am
Well Samanya, I swear I'll never put any of it in my mouth no matter how it's cooked because of the same thing. Being forced to eat it, dry retching etc. I happily chop it up raw along with Unbleached tripe for my dog. I also happily put the tripe under my Mums nose as she said she couldn't stand the smell. A little payback. !

thewomble1, Apr 20, 7:32am
Black puddings are man made . not found in a natural state.

firefly001, Apr 20, 1:08pm
or beef. It's the only offal I can eat. Once My mil tried to trick me into thinking it was steak but I knew it was heart by the texture. She knew I hated liver but must have thought it was all offal. We just had liver served up in slabs - so disgusting. I wasn't much if a meat eater anyway but it was just floured and pan fried - I would wait till mum wasnt watching and put it in my pocket . I didn't realised dad also hated it but it apparenty prompted him to get more meat.

buzzy110, Apr 21, 3:22am
Can you share a recipe or the way you cook the hearts please?

buzzy110, Apr 21, 3:32am
As an adult I made a conscious decision not to let unpleasant childhood memories inform my adult dietary choices. It is a decision that has worked well for me over the years.

beaker59, Apr 21, 3:57am
I love lambs hearts but never stuffed them a recipe would be appreciated wouldn't mind trying that.

But give them a go Buzzy they are so cheap, I cube them and thread on to skewers with onion mushrooms capsicum etc then grill don't over cook just pink and they are gorgeous. An unusual but interesting texture and nice Lamby taste.

buzzy110, Sep 26, 9:13am
Thank you beaker. I'm learning some lovely things in this thread.