What do you put on top of your porridge

Page 2 / 2
smallwoods, May 26, 9:09am
Shaved almonds and runny honey

rainrain1, May 26, 9:08pm
Butter on porridge? Ewwwww

sarahb5, May 26, 10:17pm
Agreed although it appears to be quite popular - I don't even understand the salt on porridge that the Scots do so not keen to try butter either. Made mine with light coconut cream today as I had some left over from last night's curry - was a bit different but nice for a change.

mark.52, May 26, 10:24pm
I like it cooked the old fashioned way (soak overnight), using oatmeal, with not quite enough salt.

Cream on top, and a sprinkle of sea salt, with raw sugar or honey (Kamahi is my current fave, or Vipers Bugloss). (The salt and sweet compliment each other nicely.

When cream isn't available, butter and milk does the job.

nauru, May 26, 11:11pm
I agree about the salt, not to my taste. Yesterday, I made my oat milk with a little coconut added to the oats and today's porridge had a nice coconut flavour, not too over powering. Topped it with some chopped walnuts and dates.

elsielaurie1, May 27, 3:32am
I mix a spoon of molasses in mine. No need for salt. And serve with a scoop of vanilla yoghurt. yummy.

tessie2, May 28, 11:52am
Butter and salt while cooking. Coconut sugar, cinnamon and cream topping.

anna95, May 28, 5:45pm
Wheatgerm, bran,cinnamon and a couple of prunes while cooking in my special shallow porridge plate in the microwave then blueberries, brown sugar and milk while waiting for the porridge to cool.

mjhdeal, May 28, 6:00pm
I soak my oats/raisins overnight with water and vinegar, add salt when cooking, then serve with butter and honey. I usually don't like porridge, but this way. sweet, sour, salty, buttery. it is luvverly.

genpat, May 28, 7:34pm
Ohhh,sounds good,never thought of vinegar though.I hear a lovely Irish lady is selling porridge and stewed fruit every day from a food truck at the Manly Ferry here in Sydney.All the young city 'hipsters' have discovered this 'super food'.She cant make enough of it and needs extra staff!

sampa, May 28, 8:09pm
'Discovered' = too funny!

jules555, May 28, 9:23pm
Frozen raspberries, they thaw and yoghurt

nauru, May 29, 6:24am
Then I've been eating this "super food" for well over 60 years.

thewomble1, May 31, 1:47pm
Unpasteurized milk and raw sugar.

buzzy110, Jun 1, 4:15am
How is 'properly made' porridge made?

I used to put some into a pot and add milk and cook till thick. Sometimes I used water and others, half water and half milk. Then I added salt because all starchy foods are improved with salt. Served it with cream. Was my method improper?

Later on I got creative and started adding dried fruit. Then I realised I was slowly, but steadily gaining weight so I don't eat porridge anymore.

mike16, Jun 1, 9:31am
My wife made some runny marmalade.
After cooking porridge I stirred 2 heaped dessertspoons full into the porridge.!
Yumster !

mjhdeal, Jun 1, 8:05pm
I think "properly made" = made. As in, not out of a sachet :)

buzzy110, Jun 2, 2:19am
Duh! OK. I didn't know it came in a sachet. What a waste of resources and time. It takes no time at all to make porridge even using a pot on a stove. Why buy it in a sachet? How is "sachet" porridge cooked?

342, Jun 2, 3:37am
A Tbsp of jam or lemon curd is equally as yum!

carlos57, Jun 2, 7:29am
Cooked in the microwave using oats, salt, water and chopped dates. Served with milk stirred through. I used to put brown sugar on top, but after giving up sugar for 'Stoptober' last year, I didn't go back to having sugar on it :)

awoftam, Jun 2, 7:41am
Sure it wasn't the dried fruit buzzy? Some fruit has a lot of fructose in it and dried fruit a heap, esp things like dates. Porridge in and of itself shouldn't be fattening, its what we put in it on it that causes this, I reckon.

kay141, Jun 2, 7:42am
Or how much you eat? I only use 1/4 cup of oats, sometimes with dried fruit, sometimes with fresh, then topped with unsweetened Greek yoghurt.

mikew, Jun 2, 8:43am
Have been known to sprinkle M & M's on my porridge. yummy sweet crunchie treat.

awoftam, Jun 23, 6:13pm
Ha ha each to his own!