Loaves

Page 2 / 2
cookessentials, Jun 4, 9:57pm
Great thread for those wanting loaf recipes.

pickles7, Jun 4, 10:59pm
Vogel type loaves
Mix up ingredients and let time do the kneading for you. Only requires a few minutes hands on time, but requires forward planning as can take up to 24 hours before its ready to bake.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 to 55 minutes
Servings: 2 loaf tins or 1 X 27 cm long,12.5 cm wide, 8.5 cm deep.
This bread stays fresh well, and will freeze

Ingredients:
½ cup kibbled wheat
¼ cup kibbled rye
4 cups high grade bread flour
1 cup whole meal flour
¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp Quinoa
3 Tbsp flax seed
3 Tbsp chia seeds
3 Tbsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp gluten
1/2 teaspoon instant yeast (yes that's right!)
3 teaspoons salt
2 & 1/4 cups cold water
1 cup of milk
1 tsp wine or cider vinegar

I did paint the tins with tin glide.
Tin glide:
melt 4ozs of fat add 1oz of vege oil, stir in 2 ozs flour. mix well. keep out of the fridge, in a cool place. You may need to melt and stir a bit to use.

Directions:
Place the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well (seeds are all optional)
Add water and vinegar
Mix well until a shaggy dough forms.
Cover bowl and dough with a plastic bag and leave in a warm place in winter or on bench in summer for 12 -18 hours to rise. Leave for longer if cold weather, it needs to have bubbles forming on the top of the dough when ready
When dough is bubbly on top, stir and fold dough over on itself once or twice, using a silicone spatula. It is a very wet sticky dough.
Cover and let rest about 15 minutes.
1. Using a spatula, gently shape dough into a ball, folding it over on itself, no kneading necessary.
2. Spoon the dough into the tin evenly. Tent the dough with a plastic bag, or up-turn a large plastic bowl over so as it dose not come in contact with the dough at all. Leave for at least 2 hours to near double in size.
3. Half an hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 220 deg C
5. Bake 45 to 55minutes . Remove from oven, tip bread onto a rack, cover with a tea towel and leave to cool. Do not slice until cool.
The quinoa and any of the seeds can be omitted, I prefer it with all of the seeds.

lurtz, Jun 5, 4:30am
I made these today. Just super! Thank you for the recipe.

cookessentials, Jun 5, 4:39am
You are welcome. The thread was for loaves as in sweet ones, not bread but never mind, there is a bread recipe here for those who want one now LOL

cookessentials, Jun 5, 4:41am
Here is a quick and easy feijoa loaf recipe from good morning. I will be making this one as our feijoas have just started dropping.

1 heaped cup peeled and sliced feijoas

¾ cup brown sugar

50g butter

1 cup boiling water

2 cups self raising flour

1 teaspoon ground ginger

½ cup walnut pieces (optional)

1 egg, beaten

Method

Preheat the oven to 180° C. Line a loaf pan with baking paper.

Place feijoas, sugar, butter and water in a saucepan and bring to the boil, cook gently for 5 minutes and then remove from heat and allow to cool.

Carefully stir in the dry ingredients and egg.

Mix until dry ingredients are just moistened. Bake in lined loaf pan for 50 minutes until loaf feels firm and a skewer inserted comes out clean

rj5, Jun 5, 6:13am
Pumpkin, carrot & raisin/sultana loaf

1 1/2 cups flour can use half white and half wholemeal
1 tsp b.soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup raisins/sultanas
3/4 steamed, mashed and cooled pumpkin ( I just cook this in the microwave with a little water)
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 water
Preheat oven to 160C grease a loaf tin.Sift the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and b.soda in a big bowl. Stir through the sugar, grated carrot and raisins and make a well in the centre. In a bowl or jug beat together the mashed pumpkin, water, oil and eggs and pour into well. Stir together gently. Bake in preheated oven 65-70 mins or until a cake skewer comes out clean. Allow to stand for 8- 10 mins.
This a beautiful moist loaf and very moreish

cookessentials, Jun 5, 8:59am
Fabulous, thanks rj5

ange164, Jul 2, 8:48am
Thanks for the date loaf recipe. Just the thing I was looking for.

cookessentials, Jul 2, 10:05pm
Bumping up for someone wanting loaf recipes

lurtz, Jul 2, 11:35pm
cookessentials your Pumpkin loaf recipe is super! I experimented using different varieties of pumpkin, and we liked the taste of Butterkin the best. It makes exceptionally flavoursome loaves, and as a special treat, it's worth trying a slice with Whitestone Vintage Winsor Blue. The cheese is slightly spicy; not too strong, and velvety smooth, and we loved it with your loaf.

cookessentials, Jul 2, 11:41pm
Well, thank you for letting me know! The loaf was a recipe given to Mum by a friend of hers in the USA in the early eighties. It used canned pumpkin of all things! So Mum just adapted it to fresh, steamed pumpkin. I must tell Mum to make some and serve it to Dad with some blue cheese as being a Lincolnshire lad, he loves cheese with apple pie, so I am sure he would LOVE that combination! Have you frozen any of them before? They freeze beautifully and Mum used to take it out the night before ready for the next day. I speed up the process sometimes by defrosting in the microwave! I love that they stay moist for ages too. Thanks so much for letting me know.

lurtz, Jul 3, 12:01am
It's a pleasure. We are not big cake eaters, however this recipe caught my eye, and I am so glad it did because it's now a favourite. It's nice to hear the history of the recipe also. The best are often the-tried-and true, gifted on. Yes, I keep some frozen now, and I am impressed that it can be sliced within a very short time out of the freezer. If your dad loves a good cheese with apple pie, then I am sure he'd enjoy this combination also. My father used to love a slice of cheese popped under the cooked top pastry of Christmas mincemeat pies. I haven't tried that for a few years, so I must remember do do so at Christmas.

willman, Jul 3, 12:26am
Does anyone know, whether there is a recipe book, just with loaves, like these on this tread, just with loaf recipes.

Thanks for any help.

rosiemoodle, Jul 3, 12:46am
this is a favourite I used to make years ago

http://www.food.com/recipe/bengal-fruit-loaf-397002

oopie, Jul 3, 1:52am
I love these type of recipes. I've just put one in the oven.

Added nuts because we have them (and it's good protein in the bloke's lunch), left out apricots because we don't. As long as volume is 2 cups dried fruit - all good. I mixed with only half a cup of milk and the rest water and used plain flour and baking powder.

I've written it up in my baking book - thanks for re-posting.

griffo4, Jul 3, 4:26am
Rj5 is that 3/4 cup of pumpkin?

dibble35, Jul 3, 6:41am
Thanks for bumping it up Cook essentials - None of the loaves sounded appealing (to me) but then everyone raved over your pumpkin loaves so i'll have to try it. I did love spicy pumpkin muffins when I first tried them, I imagine this will be similar, I don't eat pumpkin usually (blerk) but I think this will be good

griffo4, Jul 3, 7:22am
dibble l have given the pumpkin loaf to people who hate pumpkin and they have loved them they are very nice and l must make some more as well now we have pumpkin

griffo4, Jul 4, 7:29am
Made this today and thumbs up from everyone who tasted it and l know it will be better tomorrow Thanks for posting it's a keeper for me

cookessentials, Jul 4, 8:28am
I can assure you that will love them. This particular recipe came to us along with the lemon yogurt cake recipe from a friend if my Mum who came from Seattle. Both recipes having been made in Mum's kitchen since about 1982. Not fantasy as one poster called it lol.

dibble35, Jul 9, 6:06am
Well I was impressed with the pumpkin loaf. I made this on Friday, and still eating it today (Monday) and it is so moist and fresh tasting - not stale at all, last piece is in the tin which I will go and squirrel away for my morning tea tomorrow. Thanks cookessentials

cookessentials, Jul 10, 3:23am
You are welcome, you could eat it a week or more later and it would be perfect.

antoniab, Jul 11, 5:13am
Yum just made this today too - one for now and one for the freezer, delish! :)

cookessentials, Mar 8, 4:04pm
They are brilliant and II like that the recipe makes two at a time. Buttering and flouring your tin helps them come out beautifully.