Chestnuts - what to do with them?

Page 1 / 2
pharm_girl, Apr 24, 9:50pm
I have got a big bag of chestnuts, I know how to roast them, but then what can I do with them? Thanks ...

harrislucinda, Apr 24, 10:14pm
minceandmakepattiesbyaddingafinechoppedonion
seasonegg andsmall amountofflourthenfry

roken, Apr 24, 11:49pm
Send them to me please yummm

roken, Apr 24, 11:51pm
Boil them and then eat with butter. I used to do that when I lived in Cambridgetook them back to school in the lunch hour and we all pigged out.

onamission4, Apr 4, 3:15am
how do you roast them please

cookessentials, Apr 4, 3:23am
Chocolate Chestnut Ginger Cake

160ml olive oil
175g caster sugar
300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
5 eggs, separated
400g whole chestnuts, peeled and chopped (300g peeled weight approximately: see note)
2 tablespoons chopped crystallised ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
100g ground almonds
200g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
1/2 cup cream

Pre-heat oven to 180C(160 C) fan-forced. Grease and line a 20cm spring-form cake tin.

Combine olive oil, sugar and chocolate in a medium bowl over a saucepan of simmering water; stir occasionally until sugar dissolves and chocolate melts. Take off the heat, cool slightly.

Mix in egg yolks, chestnuts, ginger and cinnamon. Whisk eggwhites until stiff, fold 1 large spoonful into chocolate mixture, then fold in the rest, followed by ground almonds. Mix lightly so that you don't knock out the air. Pour into prepared tin and bake in pre-heated oven for 1 hour.

Leave to cool in the cake tin for 20 minutes. Remove and place on cooling rack; this is quite a fragile cake, so handle carefully.

For the topping, combine chocolate and cream in a medium glass bowl; melt over a small saucepan of simmering water or in 1 minute bursts on medium in a microwave; stir until smooth. Cool 5 minutes. Spread over cake.

Serve cake with whipped cream or creme fraiche.

* note
To peel the chestnuts, use a small sharp knife to score the outer skins. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and simmer chestnuts for 15 minutes. Only remove 1 chestnut at a time from the hot water; this will make it easier to peel the outer and inner skin. It is impossible to remove the inner skin if the nut is cold.

duna1, Apr 4, 4:15am
send them to me please

lilyfield, Apr 4, 5:12am
curry them -- serve over rice for a lovely meat free meal

mandi, Apr 4, 6:26am
I have a recipe for Chestnut, Red Onion and Fennel Chutney if you want it.Off out into the country tomorrow - weather permitting - to see if we can find some to make this recipe and hopefully roast some as well.

r-mvz, Apr 4, 7:46am
wrap them in bacon....mmmmmmmmmmmm

uli, Apr 5, 12:21am
Chestnuts have lots of carbs and hardly any protein - so how could they replace meat?

omokoroa1, Apr 5, 12:26am
lol our neighbour gave us heaps of the damn things and i thought i could do wonders with them..........NOT.........Roas-
ting seems to be the only thing everybody suggestedwhich i tried ........and i have no idea what the rave is there.........just goin to alot of work for little result............well our chicken had a good feed of them because thats where they went

korbo, Apr 5, 12:32am
please make sure they are the eating ones. we picked a lot once, and found out they were ornamental and poisionous...not sure how you tell

lilyfield, Apr 5, 12:38am
you don't have to have protein with EVERY meal.It can be in the pudding.

cookessentials, Apr 5, 12:58am
Nothing wrong with a meat free meal.

pickles7, Apr 5, 1:30am
Those, you make conkers out of.
Horse chestnuts comes to mind...korbo

lythande1, Apr 5, 2:43am
Have to say I find them rather uninteresting. Give me macadameias any day.

hestia, Apr 5, 3:02am
Chestnut purée.
Marron glacé.

cookessentials, Apr 5, 3:23am
Chocolate Chestnut Ginger Cake

160ml olive oil
175g caster sugar
300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
5 eggs, separated
400g whole chestnuts, peeled and chopped (300g peeled weight approximately: see note)
2 tablespoons chopped crystallised ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
100g ground almonds
200g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
1/2 cup cream

Pre-heat oven to 180C(160 C) fan-forced. Grease and line a 20cm spring-form cake tin.

Combine olive oil, sugar and chocolate in a medium bowl over a saucepan of simmering water; stir occasionally until sugar dissolves and chocolate melts. Take off the heat, cool slightly.

Mix in egg yolks, chestnuts, ginger and cinnamon. Whisk eggwhites until stiff, fold 1 large spoonful into chocolate mixture, then fold in the rest, followed by ground almonds. Mix lightly so that you don't knock out the air. Pour into prepared tin and bake in pre-heated oven for 1 hour.

Leave to cool in the cake tin for 20 minutes. Remove and place on cooling rack; this is quite a fragile cake, so handle carefully.

For the topping, combine chocolate and cream in a medium glass bowl; melt over a small saucepan of simmering water or in 1 minute bursts on medium in a microwave; stir until smooth. Cool 5 minutes. Spread over cake.

Serve cake with whipped cream or creme fraiche.

* note
To peel the chestnuts, use a small sharp knife to score the outer skins. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and simmer chestnuts for 15 minutes. Only remove 1 chestnut at a time from the hot water; this will make it easier to peel the outer and inner skin. It is impossible to remove the inner skin if the nut is cold.

gag5, Apr 5, 4:05am
sounds good - do you just chop them roughly or what? I have heaps at the moment - can`t giv them away...........

gag5, Apr 5, 4:08am
I tend to agree but maybe you get better at preparing them the more you do! We can`t really be bothered altho thi syear some of them are HUGE so hubby did boil some last night & we just ate em straight away - quite delicious but to do a whole meals worth?? A chinese friend relieves us of a lot but she away for a month. Anyone know if you can freeze them??

r-mvz, Apr 5, 7:46am
wrap them in bacon.mmmmmmmmmmmm

wineo, Apr 5, 9:16pm
Chestnut Chutney would e interested in recipie please (Mandi)

pickles7, Apr 5, 10:59pm
You can make, chestnut flour with them, but it is a long process.

wilson16, Apr 5, 11:52pm
How long do you boil them for? Can you leave them in the pot while they cool?
Thinking then I can peel them and put them in a chicken hot pot.