Ray McVinnies's "Eat"

annafin, Dec 9, 12:43am
Hello, does anyone have this recipe book! I am overseas, so my copy is in storage, but I need the recipe for a cake I used to make a lot. Google revealed that it is called "Warm spiced prune devil's food cake", but I can't find the recipe. I seem to recall it has cardamom and yoghurt, making it rather unusually delicious! I can remember how to make it, just not all the ingredients and measurements. If anyone has the book, and the time to post the ingredients list I would be very, very grateful!

annafin, Dec 9, 12:43am
Hello, does anyone have this recipe book! I am overseas, so my copy is in storage, but I need the recipe for a cake I used to make a lot. Google revealed that it is called "Warm spiced prune devil's food cake", but I can't find the recipe. I seem to recall it has cardamom and yoghurt, making it rather unusually delicious! I can remember how to make it, just not all the ingredients and measurements. If anyone has the book, and the time to please post the ingredients list I would be very, very grateful!

knowsley, Dec 9, 6:00pm
Just heading off to work so no time to type out the complete recipe, but ingredients are:

100g halved pitted prunes
19-ml boiling water
oil for cake tin
1 tsp freshly ground cardamon seeds
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
190g plain flour
400g brown sugar
1/2 tsp flaky sea salt
2 tsp baking soda
50g best quality cocoa
250ml yoghurt
4 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Tamarillos:
8 tamarillos with stems, skin nicked
150g demerara sugar
juice of 1 orange

Hopefully you remember the process, but if not I can type out later

elliehen, Dec 9, 8:35pm
I'd like the method please, if you have time after work :)

bedazzledjewels, Dec 9, 8:47pm
Just a little query that you'll know the answer to Ellie.
Re copyright and recipes. I've read that it's okay to list ingredients as that can't be copyrighted but to do so with the method isn't right.Is that how you see it! A bit of a murky area really as most recipes have an origin elsewhere.

elliehen, Dec 9, 10:32pm
I'd see it that way too.For example if you put"Warm spiced prune devil's food cake with baked tamarillos" into Google, which the OP has said is the title of the Ray McVinnie recipe, you will get this website which lists ingredients only and refers you to the printed book for exact quantities.

http://www.eatyourbooks.com/library/recipes/831812/warm-spiced-prune-devils-food

"A searchable index of recipes including Warm spiced prune devil's food cake with baked tamarillos from Eat and other cookbooks, magazines and food blogs."

elliehen, Dec 9, 10:40pm
Having said that, as long as the recipe is attributed to Ray McVinnie and not called "Annafin's warm spiced prune devil's food cake", I doubt a publisher would ever pursue anyone for posting on a site such as this.

It's priceless free publicity for the book and the author :)

indy95, Dec 9, 11:21pm
I'm sure it is perfectly OK to give both recipe and method as long as you acknowledge the source or state that you don't know the origin of the recipe if that is the case.

bedazzledjewels, Dec 9, 11:23pm
It's interesting that some cookbook authors keep very tight control of where their recipes turn up. Others like Jamie Oliver and Nigella put them up on their websites. I guess they see it as impossible to control so they might as well have them under their own banner.
Now when it comes to the photography in cookbooks, I guess there's much tighter control of use!

knowsley, Dec 10, 6:21am
It's ok, Ray said since it was for you, he didn't mind.

Soak the prunes in boiling water for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Oil and paper a 24cm (9 1/2") diameter springform cake tin.

Put the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix well, making sure there are no lumps of sugar. Drain the prunes and add the liquid to the dry ingredients. Reserve the prunes.

Add the remaining ingredients, except the prunes, and mix well. Stir in the prunes. Pour into the tin, and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.

Remove from the oven and remove from the tin when cool.

Tamarillos
Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and add the tamarillos. Bring back to the boil and drain. Cover the tamarillos with cold water and, when cool enough, drain and peel. Cut each tamarillo into quarters up to the stem but not right through.

Lie the tamarillos in a wide roasting dish. Sprinkle the sugar and juice on top and bake at 180 degrees with the cake for 15 minutes or until syrupy. Remove from the oven.

Serve the warm cake in wedges with the tamarillos on the side and some Greek yoghurt.

He adds:

Or, use stoned fresh dates instead of prunes in the cake

Or, serve the cake with mascarpone and fresh raspberries

elliehen, Dec 10, 9:46am
Thanks knowsley.and Ray ;)

bedazzledjewels, Dec 10, 7:48pm
Good touch Knowsley! ;-)
BTW - is it a good cookbook! I like Ray's recipes in Cuisine but I haven't caught up with this book.

knowsley, Dec 11, 6:22am
It isn't too bad, I have made a few dishes from that and his "The Modern Cook".

annafin, Dec 19, 11:52am
Oops sorry to take so long to come back, I would just like to say: THANK YOU so much! I don't hang around Trade Me so much now that I don't need to sell all my possessions, so it's lovely to just drop in and get some help.
This cake is delicious, moist, and I'm sure that Ray McVinnie would not mind us sharing it. Unfortunately I have never seen tamarillos in Japan, but I can still make this lovely cake and eat it without them!
I used to cut his recipes out of the Sunday Star Times magazine, and then I bought his cookbooks. I like that everything is pretty simple and fresh, and the ingredients are mostly easily found and affordable. There is a pumpkin and coconut curry in the Modern Cook which always impressed the flatmates.