Elsies Fingers

zanneta, Nov 28, 4:23am
When I was younger I used to make Elsies fingers- a shortbread recipe in an old Edmonds Book. Unfortunately I no longer have it.
Can anyone help me out please.

motgirl, Nov 28, 4:51am
Did they have currants in them!

zanneta, Nov 28, 5:00am
No they are just a soft shortbread rolled in castor sugar.

elliehen, Nov 28, 5:26am
I'll have a peek in an ancient Aunt Daisy book in my collection and get back to you ;)

It wasn't in Aunt Daisy but is in Edmonds Classics, the Hodder Moa book published in 2005 as a result of nationwide entries in a competition to find the Edmonds favourite recipes remembered with nostalgia, but no longer in current editions.

ELSIE'S FINGERS

125 gm butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 & 1/2 cups Standard Grade flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
extra sugar to coat
walnuts or blanched almonds

Cream butter and sugar.Add egg and beat well.Sift flour and baking powder.Stir into creamed mixture.Take heaped teaspoonsful of mixture and shape into fingers.Roll in sugar.Place on a greased baking tray.Place a walnut or almond on the top of each biscuit.Bake at 180*C for 15 to 20 minutes, until light golden.makes 28.

It wasn't in Aunt Daisy (as I first thought) but is in Edmonds Classics, the Hodder Moa book published in 2005 as a result of nationwide entries in a competition to find the Edmonds favourite recipes remembered with nostalgia, but no longer in current editions.

ELSIE'S FINGERS

125 gm butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 & 1/2 cups Standard Grade flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
extra sugar to coat
walnuts or blanched almonds

Cream butter and sugar.Add egg and beat well.Sift flour and baking powder.Stir into creamed mixture.Take heaped teaspoonsful of mixture and shape into fingers.Roll in sugar.Place on a greased baking tray.Place a walnut or almond on the top of each biscuit.Bake at 180*C for 15 to 20 minutes, until light golden.Makes 28.

zanneta, Nov 28, 5:36am
Thankyou x

schnauzer11, Nov 28, 5:43am
Oh,These were a family favourite,and adult children exclaim now,on the rare occasion I turn some out.Enjoy.

schnauzer11, Nov 28, 5:43am
-I put a little cinnamon with the caster sugar.

elliehen, Nov 28, 5:48am
There's an American cookie called a Snickerdoodle which is rolled in caster sugar and cinnamon and when baked has an interesting crazy pattern on the top.

zanneta, Nov 28, 6:50am
You are awesome!
Thankyou so very, very much xx