Trifle

Page 1 / 2
bluesurge, Nov 23, 7:16am
Any one have a tried and test Trifle recipe they would like to share please!

sossie1, Nov 23, 7:18am
Yes, jelly, sponge, custard, whipped cream and hundreds and thousands sprinkled on the top

cancaz, Nov 23, 7:28am
I like some chopped fruit in mine and a little sherry

malcovy, Nov 23, 7:32am
This with added fruit and a crumbled chocolate flake on top.

malcovy, Nov 23, 7:32am
This with added fruit and a crumbled chocolate flake on top.
I make a sponge, cool it and then cut the sponge into squares and dipping them into jelly (needs to be thick like egg white) and placing them into a bowl.Put into fridge for an hour.Make homemade custard and leave to cool.Add a fruit or a couple ie drained slice peaches or a mixture of fresh berries, boyensberries, raspberries, strawberries and cherries.Tip cooledcustard and then whipped cream on top and crumbled flake.Serve next day.

bluesurge, Nov 23, 7:33am
what kind of sponge to you find works the best!

cancaz do you soak your fruit in the sherry!

biggles45, Nov 23, 7:35am
Yup, soak the sponge in sherry, rum or whiskey. Put fruit (strawberries, rapsberries, cherries etc) over the top. Pour jelly over. When jelly has set, make a thick custard (I use 2 egg yolks so it is nice and yellow), cool and pour over jelly. Leave in fridge to set. Just before serving, cover in whipped cream and decorate. I often decorate with more fruit, but hundreds & thousands or chocolate chips are good too.

bluesurge, Nov 23, 7:43am
Malcovy sorry your post came through while I was posting.
so you use fresh sponge, does it not go soggy in the pudding!
is it just a normal sponge, I think there are a few in the edmonds book

thanks for the tip on the two yolks biggles45, same question to you about the sponge, it doesn't disintegrate with the liquid!

gilligee, Nov 23, 7:52am
I cheat and use supermarket sponge.

gardie, Nov 23, 7:55am
And not soggy - cos the jelly 'sets' it.I drain the juice from a tin of fruit (no added sugar), use the fruit on top of the sponge and use the juice to help make the jelly.

malcovy, Nov 23, 8:04am
I don't like a trifle that drips juice or liquid and this is why I use thickened jelly, I drain the fruit well.Boyensberries are very juicy though.

malcovy, Nov 23, 8:04am
I don't like a trifle that drips juice or liquid, I drain the fruit well.The thickened jelly stops too much fruit juice making sponge soggy.

bluesurge, Nov 23, 8:06am
thicken jelly so it that just with less water!

elliehen, Nov 23, 8:16am
BLACK FOREST TRIFLE

cookessentials makes a very Christmassy trifle called BLACK FOREST TRIFLE, named after the famous Black Forest Gâteau because it is full of chocolate and cherries, kirsch and cream.

"cookessentials wrote:

Yes, I do one usually using a chocolate mousse (you can use the Tararua one if you wish). I buy a chocolate sponge roll (cream filled) and slice into rounds. Best to use a deep plain glass dish as it looks really lovely showing through (I often use a large flared and footed hurricane lamp).

Arrange the slices across the base and up the sides of the bowl. Sprinkle with kirsch or a little brandy or similar. You can then add a jar of the cherries.or better still, I often use the frozen boysenberries.they thaw within a few hours.

When you add the fruit, make sure you poke some into the gaps between the sponge up the sides. Make up chocolate mousse and spread over fruit and sponge,making sure it is poked down the sides also. Chill to set and then add gently whipped cream over the top and top with grated chocolate. It is actually really nice the next day, so you could make it the day before you need it."

gilligee, Nov 23, 9:04am
Partly set I would think.

kuaka, Nov 23, 10:31am
I slice a trifle sponge or a jam swiss roll and place it in the bottom of the big glass trifle dish.If I'm using tinned fruit (which I usually do - sometimes I add fresh fruit too) I make the jelly with less than half the required water and drain the liquid off the fruit, and add it to the jelly.Leave until it has cooled but not set and pour very carefully over the sponge.Put the fruit on top, then top with custard.Decorate with whipped cream or just serve the cream with it, either whipped or runny.

usualsuspect, Nov 23, 11:35am
chocolate sponge, boysenberries chocolate mousse and cream and a chocolate flake bar sprinkled on the last layer of cream.i do 2 layers of each ingrediant finishing with a cream layer and starting with a sponge layer.you can also make a boysenberry jelly and soak the sponge in that before adding the fruit and chocolate mousse layers.YUMBO

pickles7, Nov 23, 6:26pm
######## Egg yolk custard

put into a bowl
6 egg yolks, 1/3 cup of cornflour, whisk in 1 cup of milk.
set aside.
Put in a saucepan
1 & 1/4 cups of whole milk, 2 tsp vanilla
sprinkle over the milk 2/3 cup of sugar
Do not stir, put on stove and watch for it to simmer.
Add a little hot milk into the cold, while whisking, maybe half, then pour it back into the saucepan, return to the heat. I turned my element down by 1/4.
stir with a wooden spoon until it is nice and thick.
This custard sets real fast, as soon as I noticed it thickening I removed it from the stove, kept whisking while it finished cooking.
I have covered it with cling film to stop it skinning over

########### Trifle
If you have never made a trifle before, here is a very simple recipe .
Split a trifle sponge in half-----jam both sides, place sliced peaches over one piece, scatter some chopped walnuts over and put the other piece of sponge on top.Cut it into 2 cm squares, scatter into a serving dish and splash over 1/4-1/2 a can of ginger-ale[ do not swamp it, [better to be a little dry, than wet] Pour over custard, using a knife to make holes for the custard to get right into the sponge.leave to set, cover with cling wrap, put in fridge to chill , Smother with whipped cream to serve.If You are up to it, freeze what you may have left and use for New Year.I put up first timers , it is so easy. if you wish you could buy the custard to make this trifle.

I always serve jelly separate

The egg yolks for the custard came from this pavlova recipe.
########## Pavlova.large

Beat until thick and smooth .approx 15 mins
6 egg whites,
3 Cups Icing Sugar,
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
add 2 Tablespoons Boiling water.,
Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray
Cook for 5 minutes at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further
1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C.
(Leave in oven to cool)

biggles45, Nov 23, 7:06pm
My mum used to use the juice from the tinned fruit to make the jelly (dissolve crystals in small amount of hot water, then top up with juice to amount stated on packet). We don't like most tinned fruit, so use fresh soft fruits if available. If it has to be tinned we use mandarin segments.

chrisran, Nov 23, 7:21pm
I make a large plunger coffee and transfer black coffee into a bowl. Then dip choc sponge bits in it to make a cheats tiramisu type trifle. Yummy. Do all the usual things with fruit (boysens good) but don't add any juice as it will be too soggy. Sponge only needs a quick dip.

bluesurge, Nov 23, 7:29pm
awesome, thanks all , feeling very hungry right now lol.

jimmy2102, Nov 23, 7:52pm
Annabell langbeins, bellas berry trifle made with pannettone and mascapone, peaches and berries, its a beaut and family always want it every year

bev00, Dec 4, 9:49am
This is really good. I cheat and use frozen fruit and just raspberry jam.

BERRY TRIFFLE (serves 8-10)

1 ½ Cups Jam, 2/3 Cup Fresh Orange Juice, 2 ½ Cups Cream, 250g Mascarpone, ¼ Cup Icing Sugar, 1 tsp Vanilla Essence, ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon, 250g Savoiardi Biscuits, 1 ½ Cups Masala, 400g Fresh Raspberries, 250g Large fresh Strawberries, 400g Fresh Blueberries

Melt jam in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, stir in orange juice and set aside until the mixture reaches room temperature. Put the cream, mascarpone, icing sugar, vanilla essence and cinnamon in a bowl and beat until soft peaks form. Cut each biscuit in half crossways and dip each piece in the Masala. Arrange half over the base of a 3.25 Litre serving bowl. Sprinkle 1/3 of the combined berries over the biscuits and drizzle with half the remaining Marsala and 1/3 of the redcurrant sauce. Spoon half the cream mixture over the sauce. Repeat layering with the remaining half of the dipped biscuits and Marsala, 1/3 of the berries and sauce, and the remaining cream. Arrange the remaining berries over the cream in a mound in the centre of the bowl. Reserve the final 1/3 of the redcurrant sauce, cover and refrigerate. Cover the trifle with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Before serving, pour the reserved redcurrant sauce over the berries to glaze. Gently reheat if too thick.

Quoteams7 (29 )8:41 pm,

sarahb5, Dec 4, 9:54am
I use sponge fingers or sponge roll (jam or chocolate) as the base.Tin of fruit or frozen fruit, generous sprinkle of sherry or other sweet wine, jelly made up with the drained juice from the fruit.Layer of thick custard then cream on top with a few toasted flaked almonds over the top.

scout_6001, Dec 4, 6:20pm
Black Forest Trifle:Chocolate sponge roll, kahlua, tinned cherries, chocolate mousse and cream on top.