Veal

carlosjackal, Oct 31, 8:51pm
I love veal - (especially for Rahmschnitzel! and veal with basil sauce) It seems a long time ago that I last saw veal to buy. Is it all exported! Maybe I might need to ask our local butcher.

davidt4, Oct 31, 8:56pm
The Aussie Butcher usually has various cuts of veal.

carlosjackal, Oct 31, 9:00pm
Thanks davidt4.but where The Aussie Butchers located!

davidt4, Oct 31, 9:33pm
I think the Aussie Butcher is only in the North Island.You might want to look at on-line meat suppliers, e.g.http://www.gourmetdirect.com/Veal/

carlosjackal, Oct 31, 9:55pm
Thanks for that. I've sent an email to them and am hoping to hear back from them letting me know where in the Wairarapa I can buy some!

lythande1, Nov 1, 2:34am
Why not ask the butchers down there! Veal should be easy to get, it's little baby (male) calves that aren't wanted. They're everywhere in season.

carlosjackal, Nov 1, 2:58am
Well I have asked them if they had any (and they didn't) but hadn't thought to ask them if they could get some in. I could have.I should have.but I didn't think to. Anyway, gourmetdirect(off the web site that davidt4 gave me) have asked me to let them know which is my favourite butcher and they'll see that they get it in! Easy as!

carlosjackal, Nov 1, 3:05am
Also, a lot of veal is exported - it is a "prized" meat!.and is why you don't often see it available in butchers or supermarkets.

antoniab, Nov 1, 3:06am
Pak n Save Mill street in Hamilton has veal, not occasionally either - all the time

carlosjackal, Nov 1, 3:31am
I'm jealous! LOL!

tymar, Nov 1, 6:41am
I just got a huge piece from Aussie Butcher for $10, it was packaged like their butterfly lamb.
I made veal masala with it, mmmm it was divine

dezzie, Nov 1, 8:29am
Westmeat has rolled veal roasts for $3.99 a kilo this week, sadly the nearest one to you is in blenheim.

carlosjackal, Nov 1, 9:04am
Oh wow! That is soooooooooo cheap!