Pint to litre conversion

tracy-lee, Oct 19, 11:30pm
Help , recipe calls for 2 pints , how many liters is that, I've looked on google but I'm getting confused :)

tracy-lee, Oct 19, 11:36pm
All good , went to Chelsea website , found the answer for New Zealand conversions :)

sarahb5, Oct 20, 1:36am
A pint is 568ml - generally it gets rounded down to 500ml or 1/2 litre.It weighs 16oz in milk, water, etc.1/2 litre weighs 500g.

daisyhill, Oct 20, 2:09am
http://www.onlineconversion.com/ is my one-stop shop for questions like this! Just bookmark it for next time.

I strongly disagree with "rounding down" pints to 500ml. It's very annoying when bars do that! If they agree to sell me a pint they should serve me a pint. Sheesh.

sarahb5, Oct 20, 2:45am
I'm not talking about bars - I'm talking about in recipes/cooking.It is generally accepted that the conversion rate is 500ml to a pint, like 1/2 lb or 8 ozs generally being accepted as 1 cup or 250ml.

jayimu, Oct 20, 4:24am
Who by! The NZ recipe books I've always used have 1 pint as 600mls. That's what I grew up with as well.

daisyhill, Oct 20, 4:27am
The lost of 68ml of liquid can make a difference to a recipe too, not just to my pocket and sense of indignation in a pub environment! I don't round up or down - I try to use accurate conversions if I need to convert. Sometimes it's worth have a separate set of measuring jugs or whatnot just to avoid this sort of situation.

davidt4, Oct 20, 5:07am
Me too.As far as I'm aware the Britishpint is 600 ml, the American pint is 500 ml.It can be quite tricky if you don't know the origin of a recipe.

sarahb5, Oct 20, 6:25am
Most of my recipes are English and, therefore, in metric measures anyway.The conversion rate given though when they're not is 1oz or 25g.Obviously if you're going to use a combination of metric and imperial that is going to slew the recipe but I've never had any issues using 500ml or 1 pint.A British pint is 568ml, not 600ml and Americans don't measure in mls at all.

camper18, Oct 20, 8:58am
Pint milk bottles held 600mls

sarahb5, Oct 20, 9:01am
Not when I grew up in the UK - pint bottles held an imperial pint so not measured in mls at all and when they did start to mark mls on the bottle it was 568mls, not 600

cgvl, Oct 20, 9:10am
In NZ back in the 60's all NZ pints equated to 600mls. That is also what I grew up with, a quart is 2 pints or 1.2lts.

nik12, Oct 20, 10:30am
Interesting to know an american pint is different to a uk one!
A pint to me is 600mls. 'coz of the old milk bottles, they actually had it written on them I'm sure!

carlosjackal, Oct 20, 6:09pm
Yep.still got a 1 pint, 1/2 pint and 1/4 pint. Very useful indeed!

sarahb5, Oct 20, 9:43pm
I wasn't here in the 60s

nauru, Oct 20, 11:46pm
I agree with Sarah about the UK pints but in NZ I use this conversion of 1 pint being 600mls.

buzzy110, Oct 20, 11:47pm
Interesting debate. I went and looked in my Jamie Oliver books. His recipes have both English Imperial and Metric measures. The only pint I could find was ½ pint and his metric equivalent was 285mls. That works out at 570mls. He probably rounds up as well, taking it to the nearest 5 or 10, but he certainly doesn't remove a whole 68mls from, or add 32mls to a recipe to fit some theoretical rounding process. He keeps it pretty much the same with only a 2ml difference.

Therefore I'd stick with the more precise measurement of 568-570mls for a pint if the amount of liquid was critical.

nauru, Oct 20, 11:54pm
It really depends on the origin of the recipe you are using UK, US, AU or NZ, their measurements differ.

buzzy110, Oct 21, 12:11am
Yes. However, I'd still stick with as close as possible to the metric equivalent of the pint.

1 US pint = 473mls or rounded down, approx 470mls
1 UK pint = 568mls or rounded up, approx 570mls

camper18, Oct 21, 1:33am
Im with you 'nauru' depends what country the recipe is from to which amount I would use. I know it makes a big difference with the Aussie breadmakers versus the NZ measurments.

elliehen, Oct 21, 1:58am
I don't even bother with my bookmarked conversion link any more.

If you type into Google whatever conversion you're seeking with the equals sign, e.g. 1 pint =.you get an instant answer in a drop down menu.

nauru, Oct 22, 5:45am
Yes camper, I agree and especially about the breadmaker.Mine is a Breville and gives both AU and NZ measurements as they are quite different.
Getting back to the pint measurements, today I was interested to find that 1 pint = 600mls in my UK Kenwood Chef mixer instruction book.It gives both metric and imperial measurements throughout.