High Cholesterol

Page 2 / 2
buzzy110, Oct 12, 7:30pm
The weight message is not entirely correct. Slim people get high cholesterol, as well, so there is some other factor causing the bodyto produce cholesterol above what is considered 'normal'.

One type of cholesterol takes the lipids that break down artery plaques and the other type carries the lipids that clear away the debris from this action. In this way, the body keeps arteries clear. Research has shown that even fetus's have plaques and require cholesterol. To try and remove cholesterol artificially is to remove the body's very defence against clogged arteries and heart disease.

Instead of focusing on weight, someone with an abnormally high cholesterol reading, needs to consider why their body is having to produce extra cholesterol and diet is the logical place to start.As weird as this sounds, it is grains, not moderate consumption of healthy fats, that are the foods that make the body gain fat and set it up for continually clogged arteries.

Also I keep forgetting, but too much alcohol is also implicated in this process. It varies from person to person just exactly how much alcohol is 'too much alcohol'. Beer and some spirits are made from grains and therefore I would class them as grains.

Eating low GI won't do it either because the GI load can still be working against the body.

kay141, Oct 12, 9:56pm
Some threads do seem to get side tracked. I had no luck reducing my cholesterol with diet, there wasn't much I could change so after a lot of research, I decided to take statins. It took several different brands and doses before I found one that suited me.

rpvr, Oct 12, 10:16pm
Explain this then. I am a 65 year old male and about 6 or 7 years ago cut down on butter,animal fats and ice cream (which I was eating as dessertdaily), as I felt this would be healthier, even though my cholesterol levels were borderline OK. A couple of years later they had risen dramatically, to the extent that the doctor recommended I take statins. I declined, and resumed eating butter, ice cream (admittedly more moderately than before) and started eating all the fat that I like again.heaps of ham fat last Christmas, bacon, the works. Last month had a blood test and guess what.cholesterol levels excellent! The doctor said "whatever you are doing about your cholesterol, keep doing it, it's working"!

pickles7, Oct 12, 10:19pm
Wonder why!.

bedazzledjewels, Oct 12, 10:38pm
Not surprised at all. Just keep the lid on your carbs.

village.green, Oct 12, 11:11pm
If yo take statins do look into taking Coenzyme Q10 as cholesterol lowering drugs interfere with the absorption of this vitamin.
Statin drugs block cholesterol production in the body by inhibiting an enzyme called HMG-Co-A reductase. This is the same pathway that the body uses to create coenzyme Q10 and substances called dilochols, both of which are absolutely essential for proper cell health. By blocking cholesterol production statins also block production of these vital nutrients.
Dilochols direct proteins to the areas of the cells that need repair. Without them the cells can't carry out their genetic programming for cellular functioning and restoration. Statins therefore wreak potential havoc with cellular repair.
Statins don't lessen theincidence of heart attacks.
Side Effects:
Muscle weakness and fatigue.
Heart disease and heart failure.
Liver damage
Brain and nerve damage
Depression
Cancer
The stuff I have just typed up is from a book written by a medical doctor who is a board certified obstetrician and gynecologist. She appreciates the need for a partnership between the best ofconventional and complimentary medicine.
Dr Christiane Northrup.
Worth doing a bit of research on the old statins which are of course a hugely moneymaking for the pharmacuetical industry.

kay141, Oct 12, 11:35pm
As I said, I did my research. You have quoted from one source, there are many and they quite often disagree with each other. I have been taking statins for a good number of years and though I agree about some of the side effects, they can be eliminated by trial and error.

ange164, Oct 13, 12:36am
The copy I obtained has a sticker in it "participant of the 4th IAG fat lunch 2004" so I assume that the book beinga heart foundation product has been and may still frequently be a gift item that is not necessarily wanted by the recipient. I doubt that OP will return anyway.

beaker59, Oct 13, 12:42am
I am a middle aged (cough) male and I can control my colesterol readings by controlling alcohol intake. The doctors all dissagree but its true high reading stop drinking for 3 months retest and readings are mid range normal. Personally I far prefer reducing my alcohol intacke to a couple of beers and a couple of glasses of wine a week to taking statins which make me feel wierd within a few days of starting.

Its all different though for everyone so work out whats best for you. I also wonder seriously about the hype over colesterol as has been said before the body produces it for a reason. Its a bit like oxygen a little bit is needed at the right times but too little can kill just as quick as too much.

kay141, Oct 13, 12:48am
But some of us don't have an alcohol intake to reduce.

knowsley, Oct 13, 1:33am
Pretty difficult to comment on anything with so limited information. I can only assume that in your increased fat intake, you didn't start gaining weight. I am sure that if your weight increased, your lipid profile would have changed for the better. I have no issue with fat intake if in an energy balance - the problem arises when calories are taken in excess. Suggesting to the OP that she should increase the fat intake for her husband, without making sure that he goes on a calorie restricted diet plan is dangerous advice.

punkinthefirst, Oct 13, 2:02am
You can still roast. Trim the meat of excess fat and put it on a rack. You can still "fry". Use a heavy, preferably well-seasoned cast iron pan and just wipe it out with a little olive oil on a piece of paper. Even chips are a possibility. Cut washed potatoes into even wedges, spray them lightly with an oil spray and bake them in the oven. I put mine on silicone baking paper in a roasting dish, and use the paper to shake them about and turn them. After a while, conventionally fried food becomes way too fatty for your taste.
Listen to your doctor, not to all the half-baked theories you can get on here. My husband had a congenital heart problem we didn't know about, and he died of it at the grand old age of 49. You have a chance to make things different. I'd hate anyone to go through what we as a family have been through - let alone the one and only heart attack my husband had.

andrew697, Oct 13, 6:17am
When making stir frie meals - I boil up the meat until tender in a pot. I used blade steak, rump steak, beef schnitzel etc.

Once boiled - cut all visible fat off.

Get out frypan, adding boiling water, tomatoes (canned or fresh), add heaps of fresh/frozen vegetables e.g. broccolli, carrot, pepper, yam, kumara (diced), onion, pineapple (fresh/canned) green beans, can of chick peas, grate fresh ginger (bought from fresh food section of supermarket), 1-2 chillis, garlic (grated).

Add diced (and already boiled) beef/chicken (without skin) etc.

If required add herbs such as parsley, rosemary, sage etc (preferably ffresh, or dried).

Simmer until hot, and spices have melted into vegetables.

Delicious, low fat and anti-inflammatory (because of:ginger, chilli, garlic).
Chick peas are recommended as daily food, for anti-cancer properties.

frances1266, Oct 13, 6:33am
Watch Forks Over Knives on utube.

rpvr, Oct 13, 7:25pm
You are correct on the question of weight. I am only 2kg heavier at 65 than I as at 21. I guess that's just down to metabolism, although while I eat anything I want, I don't eat large quantities. Don't drink alcohol either.

beaker59, Oct 14, 1:57am
Sorry

kay141, Oct 14, 2:02am
No need to apologise. I enjoy my occasional wines. High days and holidays.