Where to buy blackstrap molasses?

elsielaurie1, Oct 14, 1:59am
Recently both Countdown and New World have not had any. I bought the Chelsea one but it is so sweet.Any suggestions.!

geldof, Oct 14, 2:14am
I have the 'Red Seal' brand but can't remember where I got it sorry.

elsielaurie1, Oct 14, 2:41am
That's the one I'm looking for.so far, just a vacant slot on the shelves where it used to be.Countdown said that it has been 'withdrawn', something to do with repackaging.!

lindylambchops1, Oct 14, 2:50am
Bin Inn sell Molasses.

icequeen2, Oct 14, 2:54am
If its been deleted, due to repackaging, it can sometimes take ages to come back in.

otterhound, Oct 14, 3:14am
What exactly is blackstrap molasses!Is it just basic molasses like we give the horses!

petal1955, Oct 14, 5:40am
Perhaps try a Health shop Im sure they would stock that.

elesha, Oct 14, 5:42am
bin inn

jiminy_cricket5, Oct 14, 6:16am
try your nearest dairyfarmer they get it 1000s of litres a time

otterhound, Oct 15, 1:22am
So is it just plain old molasses that farmers etc use!

cookiebarrel, Oct 15, 2:36am
Think so otterhound.I know I give my dogs and pony the stuff that I buy to put in the humans baking.But that is a case of using New World's stuff for the animals, not using the farmer's stuff for my gingerbread!Would love to know if I could use the farming one as it works out cheaper.

village.green, Oct 15, 2:47am
Probably if you can buy in bulk it will be cheaper.
I would try healthfood shop if you don't like supermarket brand although it will be more expensive.
It is a byproduct of sugar production. ie what remains after extracting of sugar from raw sugar cane.
I think there are also different varieties depending on first and second extractions.

carlosjackal, Oct 15, 10:39pm
x1
Blackstrap Molasses is a wonder food! My husband has a spoonful dissolved in hot water every morning. It is full of vitamins, minerals and trace elements and far less expensive than many other health tonics, pills and potents.

http://spiritfoods.net/health-benefits-of-blackstrap-molasses/

uli, Oct 15, 10:45pm
If you want to eat the stuff then try to get it organic.

Sugarcane is extensively sprayed as it is grown in huge monocultures which attract lots of diseases.

What you are getting as molasses is what is left over after refining the sugar crystals out. The sugarcane is just ground and pressed, so anything that has been sprayed onto those stems will be ground and pressed too.

The sugar crystals themselves are quite pure compared to the black gunk that is left over.

So go for organic if you can.

village.green, Oct 15, 11:24pm
Sugar cane is a very highly sprayed crop unless organic.