Linen Damask Napkins

Page 2 / 2
emmapear, Oct 20, 3:30am
I love them, my grandmother had about 40 that she had inherited from various aunties as she was the only child in her generation. She recently went into a resthome and I got given quite a few treasures. One treasure was a set of damask napkins still in the box and about 80 years old. Perfect condition. Know that doesnt help you though LOL

davidt4, Oct 20, 5:13am
Which search engine!Google gave me 356,000 results for napery.

makespacenow, Oct 20, 5:17am
ebay!

elliehen, Oct 20, 5:25am
I'm talking about a Trade Me search.Of course the world-wide web will reflect the wide, wide world.

Edited to add that a search on Google for 'Table Linen' returned about 19,900,000 results, still reflecting my comment about changing language ;)

davidt4, Oct 20, 9:24am
Thank you everyone for your advice.My hunt continues!

dizyq, Oct 21, 3:46am
Now you will think this is ridiculous but the Warehouse sometimes has damask linen hospitality quality. and it is very nice!.haven't noticed it lately but worth checking out.I have some from a hotel my aunt owned in the 60's old and lovely .haunt the op shops .all that naperymust go somewhere when "Nana" passes away!

zappi, Oct 22, 2:30am
David t, I too will keep watching to see what comes up as I would dearly love a proper linen damask table cloth and napkins for special occasions.They are so lovely.I remember lots of the churches growing up having proper table cloths but havn't seen any for such a long time.Love your recipes also.Always keep an eye out.

zappi, Oct 22, 2:43am
Just for interest out of an online dictionary.
I also remember the term napery from my grandmother and her mother using it.Im only 42.
Mercer

The term mercer for cloth merchants (from French mercier, "notions dealer") is now largely obsolete. Mercers were formerly merchants or traders who dealt in cloth, typically fine cloth that was not produced locally. However inventories of mercers in small towns suggest that many were shopkeepers who dealt in various other dry commodities, not only cloth.

Related occupations include draper and cloth merchant, while clothier historically referred to someone who manufactured cloth, often under the domestic system

napery
household linen collectively, especially tablecloths and napkins.
See also: Dining
ThesaurusLegend:Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
Noun 1. napery - linens for the dining table
table linen
damask - a table linen made from linen with a damask pattern
linen - white goods or clothing made with linen cloth
napkin, serviette, table napkin - a small piece of table linen that is used to wipe the mouth and to cover the lap in order to protect clothing
place mat - a mat serving as table linen for an individual place setting
tablecloth - a covering spread over a dining table
tray cloth - table linen consisting of a small cloth for a tray

davidt4, Oct 22, 3:07am
Thanks for the kind words zappi.Keep an eye on the TM trader "maudes", which is a charitable entity which sells vintage fabrics.I won't fight you for the damask tablecloths as I already have one (it gets produced only for special dinners as it is such a pain to iron).But fine quality linen napkins are worth having for everyday use - there's nothing quite like the feel of them, and they are not hard to iron.

kiwibubbles, Oct 22, 4:07am
have you tried Briscoes!

davidt4, Oct 22, 4:37am
No, and someone suggested The Warehouse.It never occurred to me to look in either but I'll have a poke around.Thanks.

buzzy110, Oct 22, 4:38am
While you are out there you may as well check out Spotlight as well.