Help with macarons please

peterg1, Oct 7, 2:41am
I have tried four different recipes for macarons and though they all taste ok they look nothing like the beautiful ones you see photographed. I can't get a good colour, even with pink or green colouring they just look brownish. They don't come out sleek and smooth on top with the bubbly base either, they just look bubbly all over and a bit cracked. I have tried the masterchef (Zumbo) recipe using a sugar thermometer and still no luck. Also tried banging the tray and leaving them half an hour before cooking. any advice appreciated, thanks.

krazy_kat, Oct 7, 3:28am
The only recipe that has worked and given that nice shell is the Zumbo recipe - which I halve cos it makes a zillion!Even when you make his you have to tap the tray and leave it because that's what gives it the shell.It does take a bit to get them right.

But if you are getting brown when its not chocolate I would think your oven is too hot - maybe drop it a little bit!May just be that your oven is particularly hot.

bill241, Oct 8, 4:47am
I use this one

http://www.syrupandtang.com/200712/la-macaronicite-2-basic-technique-and-simple-macaron-recipe/

I usually get good results, unless I accidentally overmix the batter, which screws them up.

peterg1, Oct 8, 6:34am
Thanks for this. I will abandon the mountain I made yesterday and start again!

kiwibubbles, Oct 8, 7:26pm
sounds like you need to turn your oeven temp down if its going brown. Can you buy yourself an oven thermometer thing and use it to test your oven temp!

mothergoose_nz, Oct 9, 4:21am
it is handy to have a thermometer to test oven anyway.a candy or meat thermometer will do the trick.

kezza121, Oct 9, 7:41am
how do they get such vibrant colours on the tv chef programmes!

shop-a-holic, Oct 9, 8:04am
They use quality food gel colourings.I use the brand "Americolor" and occasionally "Mastercolor".The downside with the latter is that it is a screw top container, never seals properly after having to poke a stick at it and pierce the top. They dry up and are useless after a period of time.

Americolor has a snap lock top and allows you to control the amount of colour squeezing one drop at a time.

Both brands are true to their colour.

peterg1, Oct 9, 8:12am
Where would you buy those colourings, don't think I have seen them at the supermarket!

shop-a-holic, Oct 9, 8:43am
You can find them from professional cake decorating stores or search them here on TM.
*You're welcome*

PS:The mastercolor brand is called CHEFMASTER.I just checked my pots and had a blonde moment.Apologies.

andree3, Oct 9, 9:06am
the more finely ground the almond is the smoother the shell (in my experience).do you leave them to sit for 30 mins or so be after you've piped them before baking! i think that helps with the cracking. also the length of time you mix the whole lot when you add the gr almonds to the egg white mix is quite crucial. i bought a book on book depository - mad about macarons - which was quite useful

shop-a-holic, Oct 9, 9:26am
Just watched Nic and Rocco on MKR tonight making macarons.They coloured their meringue thoroughly (which is safer to do) before folding into the almond mix.

kezza121, Oct 9, 10:10am
Thanks heaps! will look for the chefmaster colours, I do have some gel colours from icing cakes, but I'll look for those too, I love the really vibrant colours.