Croque Monsieur

willyow, Sep 19, 2:34am
I have one of these most Saturday mornings while selling my products at the La Cigale French Market in Parnell. They talked aboutthe recipe on National; Radio this week & published it in their online newsletter - highly recommended as extremely yummy.

Ingredients and Method (for 1 sandwich)

2 slices of bread

Small quantity of béchamel sauce

1 slice of ham

Dijon mustard

Grated Emmental cheese
Lightly butter one side of one slice of bread and place it, buttered side down, on an oven tray.
Spread the side facing up with a thin layer of béchamel sauce and place a slice of ham on the béchamel. Spread a thin layer Dijon mustard on the ham.

Sprinkle with grated French Emmental cheese and put a slice of bread on top. Gently press together. Spread more béchamel on top and sprinkle with more cheese.

Bake in a moderate to hot oven until both sides are golden and the edges are looking crunchy.

Eat at once ( as if you'll need any encouragement)

sarahb5, Sep 19, 2:44am
Oh they're much nicer if you fry them in butter .

alphadave, Sep 19, 2:47am
Croque Madame is without the meat!ate them all the time in Paris

willyow, Sep 19, 5:11am
Are they calorie-free too!

cloudberry, Sep 19, 5:25am
Everyone knows that food has no calories if no-one sees you eating it.

davidt4, Sep 19, 5:39am
And if you dunk a biscuit in tea all the calories fall out.

eastie3, Sep 19, 5:41am
This also happens when you snap a Tim Tam in half.

sarahb5, Sep 19, 6:49am
Of course they are - once you cut them all the calories fall out .

bryndwrriors, Sep 21, 10:12am
Where do you get French "Emmental cheese" from!

shop-a-holic, Sep 21, 10:31am
Try Cheesemongers in Montreal Street.They have shifted from the shop off Victoria after the quake.

http://www.cheesemongers.co.nz/contact.asp

willyow, Sep 21, 6:40pm
Thereis NZ Emmental cheese in the supermarket - it's just that the 'French' Market pushes all things 'French' - I'm off therethis morning to flog vanilla pods, vanilla extract, in-shell walnuts and Dutch Cocoa - none of them are 'French'