Countdown Knives.?!

poloboynz1, Sep 11, 5:53am
Is anyone else having rust spots coming through on their Knives they purchased through the Countdown promotion! I must say I am rather disappointed with the quality. If you think about it we weren't really saving much, we still had to spend a lot to get them. Anyone else with this problem!

sarahb5, Sep 11, 6:02am
No mine are absolutely fine and hold a nice sharp edge as well although I do find the bread knife a bit too heavy to use on soft bread

kiwigal007, Sep 11, 6:05am
Same here and Ive been handwashing them (heard dishwasher not a good idea). Still sharp though :)

poloboynz1, Sep 11, 6:05am
.Dam dishwasher.

nauru, Sep 11, 6:10am
Don't put them in the dishwasher. I had the same problem with similar knives (not CD ones) and found this was the problem so always hand wash them now, problem solved.

poloboynz1, Sep 11, 6:12am
Thanks Nauru

tigeraptor2001, Sep 11, 6:16am
yip mines had rust too

245sam, Sep 11, 6:59am
I remember a posting from someone who got some of those knives early on in the promotion and she/he stressed that it was important to keep the knives dry as much as possible - obviously that excludes when they're actually in use.:-))

a.fineform, Sep 11, 7:13am
No, ours are fantastic, no problems at all.

butterfly_bell, Sep 11, 7:18am
Yep mine are getting spots too and we only handwash them. They are nice and sharp though.

sarahb5, Sep 11, 9:26am
Mine go in the dishwasher and I never even wipe the excess water off when I take them out - they just go straight into the knife block and no rust or any discoloration at all

kiwiscrapper1, Sep 11, 9:52pm
You should never put sharp knives in the DW, can rust but also blunts them,

tjman, Sep 11, 9:56pm
Just noticed the rust spots on mine.

tjman, Sep 11, 9:57pm
Arent they supposed to be 'Stainless' Steel !

245sam, Sep 11, 10:11pm
tjman, my DH works with metals and when I have noticed blemishes or whatever marks/imperfections, etc. with various stainless steel items he has advised me that yes they're stainless steel BUT there are various grades of stainless steel and that is obvious by how stainless the items are/remain.:-))

village.green, Sep 11, 11:04pm
Mine go in the dishwasher and don't have any rust on them. I do need to sharpen them every couple of weeks or so (I use one of those easy ones that you just draw the blade through from Innovations and works well). I like them but don't think they are particularly 'great' quality and thought the RRP of them was far fetched. If you want good quality, good weight knives that will last many years, I think you have to pay a fair amount. I do have a couple of Mundial knives we bought about 20 years ago and still going strong and my brother bought me a set of knives 27 years ago that are still going strong.

sarahb5, Sep 11, 11:31pm
Same - mine all go in the dishwasher but I don't have a set of knives - I have bought all my knives individually, a couple are Sebatier, one is Mundial, I have a really cheap, serrated knife with a really thin blade specifically for cutting tomatoes as nothing else seems to work, etc.But considering the Countdown knives were free I'm quite happy with my small Santoku knife - I probably wouldn't have gone out of my way to buy it but it's a handy size and quite useful.

spuddybuddy, Sep 12, 9:12am
Never never never put your knives in the dishwasher, it ruins the edge on them.Just wash them in hot soapy water, dry straight away and store them in knife block.