Does anyone have a tried and true Cornish pasty

dkebab1, Sep 9, 7:34pm
Recipe!
I have googled for recipes, but all seem to use raw ingredients,ie diced beef, and veges, i want to use a mince type mixture, and was planning on cooking the mixture, will this work or make the mixture soggy!
TIA

jessie981, Sep 9, 7:45pm
Have bumped up Recipe for you.

dkebab1, Sep 9, 7:52pm
Thanks, i did look at the thread, but it was mainly about pastry, but i think i have found a recipe i am going to try.

jessie981, Sep 9, 7:57pm
I have Aunt Daisy but she uses beef steak. I think precooked would need to be fairly dry mixture or pastry will be soggy!

dkebab1, Sep 9, 8:02pm
Will give it a try and see how it works out.

rainrain1, Sep 9, 8:04pm
This arrived into my mailbox a while ago

you can use bought savoury short crust.

An interesting thing about pasties. It was very traditional for Cornish tin miners to have pasties in their lunch boxes and each pasty would have a pastry “handle”- just an extra bit of pastry which the miners held onto. Then that bit of pastry was thrown away. This meant the miner did not transfer anything contaminating into his mouth.

Pastry
500 g flour
120 g lard
25 g butter
Salt
Chilled water

Mix the first four ingredients in the food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs and then add chilled water until a pastry forms. Chill. Divide into 6 pieces and roll out. Use a saucer to cut circles.

Filling
450 g beef finely chopped
450 g potato peeled and finely chopped
250 g swede peeled and finely chopped
200 g onion finely chopped
plenty of salt and pepper
A nob of butter for each pasty
(The only extra thing I added was a good spoonful of Bovril to the meat.)

Layer these ingredients onto the pastry circles. Wet and crimp the edges. Brush with an egg wash and bake at 180 for 45-60 minutes.

Here is a Youtube link for a demonstration for making these fabulous little parcels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=Oh_OAt-JWXE

dkebab1, Sep 9, 8:26pm
Thank you, I will give it a try, I made a chicken pie last week, which DP enjoy so now he has asked for Cornish pasty, so will give it a whirl.

lythande1, Sep 10, 12:12am
Yes because that is a pastie.
But if you want mince, then use non-fatty mince. It works, just not a real pastie.

dkebab1, Sep 10, 3:13am
I made a batch with Mince, but think i will make the traditional type next time.

kirmag, Sep 10, 3:22am
We use our leftover roast meat and veges and gravy for our pasites.Yum yum!

dkebab1, Sep 10, 3:27am
Thats a good idea, I normally make shepards pie from left over roasts.

liamjosh, Sep 10, 4:26am
Did this Recipe last night, was yummy.

http://www.yates.co.nz/vegie-challenge/spring-2012

Cut small so got four out of each pre rolled sheet then re-rolled scraps and got 30 in total. Half for dinner and half in the freezer for another day.

jessie981, Sep 10, 4:36am
Can't see the recipe/