Whoopie pies

zellas, Sep 4, 12:07am
I made whoopie pies on the weekend following a recipe from the Hansells website. They just seem like a basic cake batter spooned onto a baking tray instead of baking in a tin. Has anyone tried making these just with their everyday cake recipe, and how did it turn out!

sarahb5, Sep 4, 1:12am
Normal cake recipe would be too runny I think - I've made them and the mixture was definitely stiffer than any cake batter I use.

shop-a-holic, Sep 4, 4:22am
Whoopie Pies are the same as our Ginger Kisses. ie: Gingerbread Whoopie pies are just one flavour and Whoopies can be any flavour. eg: chocolate, banana bread, vanilla etc.

I'd love to know when Rosedale started making them.

245sam, Sep 4, 4:28am
Here's the link to a recipe for Chocolate Whoopie Pies as made last week by Dean Brettschneider on TV1's Good Morning:-

http://tvnz.co.nz/good-morning/chocolate-whoopie-pies-5051780

245sam, Sep 4, 4:32am
I can't help you re that other than to say that it was a long time ago but did you know there is or have you tried their latest flavour option - Lemon Kisses!:-))

shop-a-holic, Sep 4, 4:56am
Off to the supermarche, girls!

gardie, Sep 4, 5:01am
I tried the packet ones (at least my daughter did) and they were quite yummy.The packet is supposed to make 12 but she made 5 (doubled).You can imagine how big they were lol.

shop-a-holic, Sep 4, 5:53am
Earliest reference I can find for Ginger Kisses.Dunedin. Otago Witness Sept 1900.
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast!a=d&cl=search&d=OW19000926.2.269&srpos=1&e=-------10--1----2ginger+kisses-- A reply was published March 1901.
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast!a=d&cl=search&d=OW19010320.2.234&srpos=2&e=-------10--1----2ginger+kisses--

I think New Zealand definitely owns the Ginger Kisses.
*My supermarket tonight didn't have the Lemon ones, but I'm on the hunt*.

sarahb5, Sep 4, 7:32am
The texture of whoopie pies isn't the same as ginger kisses which are quite light and spongy, whereas whoopie pies are more substantial - more of a muffin texture but crisper rather than soft and spongy.

shop-a-holic, Sep 4, 9:50am
I love you lots sarahb5; but it depends on the freshness of the product only; and that includes homemade whoopies sitting on a bench in a Florida kitchen for an afternoon.It would also depend on how well the butter and sugar are creamed; or the tools that were used; hand vs machine mixed.

No whoppies that I have had are crisper than ginger kisses; and nor are ginger kisses spongy (like Sponge Drops). (hugs)

kiwigoldie, Sep 4, 9:56am
i found woopie pies to be a bit like a thin "kiss cake" that we called them when I was a kid.in those days they were joined with raspberry jam.

sarahb5, Sep 4, 8:58pm
Well the Rosedale ginger kisses I've had are always a spongey texture and whilst I've never been to Florida or done any of those other things you allude to the texture of the ones I made following the recipe from an American site was nothing like ginger kisses - definitely a different texture - I obviously am not explaining it well but the mixture was much stiffer than standard cake batter.

sarahb5, Sep 4, 9:18pm
I can't find the recipe I used but this photo shows the texture - "rougher" or dryer on the top and more crumbly inside than a ginger kiss - sort of somewhere between cake and cookie texture

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3570/3371902912_e66b8be988.jpg

seniorbones, Sep 5, 8:01am
I have just returned from usa and we went to an Amish dinner, they made whoopie pies and said they originated from the Amish people when they came from germany! They used lard with icing sugar and vanilla for the filling and the cake was just like a chocolate cake, soft and spongy and yummy, I was expecting them to be sweet and sickly but they werent and were very morish :-)

rarogal, Sep 6, 4:25am
I've made the packet ones and they were beautifully soft and spongy, and the filling mix that came with it was delicious. I made 15 doubled, some were bigger than others. I'd definitely make them again.