Scotch Bonnet chilis

kezza121, Sep 4, 10:56pm
Does anyone know where you can buy these! Thanks

makespacenow, Sep 4, 11:08pm
think I bought some seeds few years ago from KINGSEEDS.
Asian stores maybe if you are after the product!
I simply grow several varieties as I can never find the ones I am after in shops.

kezza121, Sep 4, 11:13pm
thats a good idea, thanks. I was wanting to make jerk seasoning. but that might be the way to go.

makespacenow, Sep 5, 12:38am
oh like spicy food do you! I grow at least 7 types of chillies to satisfy my cravings.
Have a photo of my now 6 1/2 as a 2 y old stealing habaneros of the plant, I told her no no spicy she didn't listen and ate it, her face was glowing and she sat quietly on the sofa for an hour eating bread and drinking milk, then off she went and did it again!

kezza121, Sep 5, 1:07am
Love the jerk spices, had always been a bit scared to try but was in Nelson recently and they were selling jerk chicken sandwiches with coleslaw and lime aioli - YUM, I bought a jar of the seasoning, and it will last awhile, but I want to make it myself. I bought some seeds off here an hour or two ago, so will plant them and see how I go. any tips for successfully growing chilis!

iriegirl, Sep 5, 1:21am
If you can't find any scotch bonnets, use habeneros, they'll give you a similar heat factor to the scotch bonnets. Kings seeds also sell a Carribean mix which has some in it as well. Good luck with growing them, and my advice is to sow lots of seeds, and if you're planting outdoors, make sure your soil temp is not to cool. There's a great wee book called the New Zealand chilli handbook that is a good guide. Hope this helps :o)

kezza121, Sep 5, 1:24am
awesome, thank you!

davidt4, Sep 5, 2:12am
We grow Rocoto chillis instead of Scotch Bonnets, as they fruit almost all year and have pretty mauve flowers.They are not quite as hot as Scotch Bonnets or Habaneros, but have a lovely fruity flavour and are very versatile.I use them in jerk seasoning and they work well.

I'd love to get a copy of the NZ chili handbook.

kezza121, Sep 5, 3:32am
Thanks davidt4 I'll look out for them :o)

245sam, Sep 5, 3:53am

nala2, Sep 5, 6:45am
Habaneros have a much "fruitier" flavour and a distinctive aroma and are for that reason mostly used in chutneys and sauces while Scotch Bonnets have the heat but not the strong aroma. I found the SB much easier to grow than the Hab,s and more tolerant of lower temps. They are both cap. chinense but are quite different. Hab,s need an early start to get fruit at the end of the season.