What to use instead of arrowroot to thicken

kuaka, Aug 20, 7:15am
a syrup for a fruit flan.I know I could use cornflour, but I've always used arrowroot (mum always told me it was better as it didn't go opaque like cornflour) and now I want to make a lovely sponge fruit flan and can't seem to buy any arrowroot here - is it still available or is it another product which has disappeared from the shelves!

nauru, Aug 20, 7:27am
Arrowroot is still available, saw it in CD recently.You could try a bulk food store too.

cookessentials, Aug 20, 9:35am
Yes, definately arrowroot for fruit flans, cornflour for gravies etc.

Available ar countdown
http://shop.countdown.co.nz/Shop/ProductDetails!Stockcode=265190&name=white-crest-arrowroot

marob2, Aug 20, 9:46am
If not in the baking needs aisle, try the gluten free dept.

kuaka, Aug 20, 9:59am
I searched for it, and asked at checkout, and they said they don't have it.Ours is only a small Countdown.Maybe I'll try the four square shop tomorrow, they just might have it, otherwise I'll have to rethink and do something different.

sturmer1, Aug 20, 8:08pm
I use arrowroot powder alot for a traditional cook island dish.I go to any asian shops, in Otahuhu, Auckland

kuaka, Aug 20, 8:42pm
Very helpful - I'm in Paihia, just Countdown which doesn't stock it and the Four Square which may have it but I haven't tried yet.Decided to make a pav instead.

cookessentials, Aug 20, 9:29pm
Ask Countdown to get you some, they have it listed above on their online shopping site.

kuaka, Aug 20, 10:49pm
Thanks for that suggestion cookessentials - I will do that, but meantime I have a pav in the oven as I want it for tomorrow, and was going to make the flan tonight, so had to change.I will definitely try to get some, otherwise it will be on my shopping list next time I go to New World which probably won't be for some weeks.

icequeen2, Aug 20, 11:02pm
The arrowroot in a box has been deleted from countdown, they now have it in a tub, mckenzie brand, it should be where the other one was. (whitecrest i think it was)

kuaka, Aug 20, 11:42pm
Thanks for that info icequeen - I'll check it out next time I'm in there, but I did have a good search yesterday and couldn't find any and the staff checked on the computer and said it's not stocked

icequeen2, Aug 21, 1:32am
Its only just swapped over to the other brand a couple of wks ago, unless it hasnt arrived in that store yet, or it is a very small store with small range, they should be getting it. Cheers!

kuaka, Aug 21, 5:22am
It's a very small store with a very small range - lots of things we can't get here that are available in other Countdowns.

kuaka, Aug 22, 7:32am
Well, what do you know.Not available at Countdown, but readily available at the local Four Square shop.Didn't even have to ask, there it was large as life on the shelf.I bought a packet - still in a box, still by White Crest.Course found it today which was too late as I made a pav yesterday for today.Pav was yummy despite coming out of the oven less than half the height that it was when it went in.

kokochanel, Aug 22, 3:26pm
banana poke!