How many mls in a pint

spunkeymonkey, Aug 8, 9:18pm
ok so how many mls are there in a pint! and how many mls are there in a gallon!
When I was a knee high to a grass hopper we had glass milk bottles. am I correct in saying that that those glass milk bottles are a pint. TIA

mike844, Aug 8, 9:19pm
600mls to a pint

sarahb5, Aug 8, 9:21pm
568mls or 20 fl ozs is a standard Imperial pint.Generally, under the metric system, a pint is considered to be 500mls or 2 cups.

A pint is an 8th of a gallon so there would be 4,544 mls in a gallon.

drsr, Aug 8, 10:35pm
Type "1 imperial pint in ml" into Google, you get a handy volume converter. The glass milk bottles were indeed 600ml.

sarahb5, Aug 8, 10:37pm
In which case a standard imperial pint has grown 32mls since I was at school .

cgvl, Aug 8, 11:13pm
a pint has always been 600mls and there are 8 pints to a gallon, 4.8litres.
An American pint and gallon are smaller than ours not by much. I have a cookbook that has both American and English (Imperial) measurements.
A quart is 2pints or a quarter of a gallon. There are a couple of other measurements but I cant remember them off hand.
Milk bottles (1960's) came in 600ml pints and 300ml ½pints, cream came in both although usually only saw cream in pint bottles a xmas time.

sarahb5, Aug 8, 11:18pm
No it hasn't - check your facts - 600mls is a standardised pint measurement introduced since we started using metric measurements.A pint weighs 20 ozs and volumetrically that 568mls

sarahb5, Aug 8, 11:18pm
No it hasn't - check your facts - 600mls is a standardised (rounded up) pint measurement introduced since we started using metric measurements, ie. 1960s.A pint weighs 20 ozs and volumetrically that's 568mls.If you check the measurements on the side of a pint measuring jug it doesn't show 600mls as a pint - it is slightly less (about 2 tablespoons unless you're Australian in which case it would be 1 1/2 tablespoons).

daleaway, Aug 9, 12:15am
We can't say whether the glass milk bottle you knew as a youngun were pints or not, unlwess we know what date you mean.
They were pints when I was a youngun, but I am getting on a bit - and when NZ switched to litres, those bottles were glass as well. You may be remembering pint bottles, or you may be remembering metric glass bottles.

PS when I was little we were taught"A pint's a pound, the world around". Handy, but also wrong!

pickles7, Aug 9, 12:34am
gee, I have a glass milk bottle
"I will be back"

pickles7, Aug 9, 12:39am
1Tablespoon short of 600 mils.

drsr, Aug 9, 12:56am
The metric glass milk bottles were actually labelled with 600ml embossed on the glass as I recall.

mwood, Aug 9, 12:57am
In metrics water weighs the same as it's volume so 1 litre = 1 kg therefore 250 mls weighs 250 gms. 1 pint = 0.5683 litres or 568.3 mls or .5683 kg

cookessentials, Aug 9, 1:38am
Without getting TOO technical, the first answer will do just fine

mwood, Aug 9, 2:05am
Ina pub a 500 ml glass is called a pint, 1 litre is calleda jug, A 350/75 ml bottle is called a pint bottle and a 750 ml a quart bottle.

sarahb5, Aug 9, 2:25am
Thank you - I knew that and that's how I'm able to use add and weigh scales when I add water or even milk to any other dry ingredients

mwood, Aug 9, 3:23am
yes correct for all "thin" liquids and a great tip when scaling up or down