Retro Fondue night

viv130, Jul 3, 7:26am
Love some ideas for a Fondue night, we will just be using oils for cooking, but would like ideas for sauces, meats, and other things that may compliment. thanks

pussy01, Jul 3, 7:42am
back when i was a kid we had steak cubes, steamed mussells cut in half diped in batter, precooked sausages cut into segments and battered.pineapple, you will need two forks each to have a continuios supply of meats.cole slaw or salad on the side.and dipping sauces

nunesy, Jul 3, 8:43am
Sauces: apple sauce, mint sauce, bbq/smoked sauce, some sort of creamy one, and a spicy one (google Comeback sauce for an awesome sauce with a kick).Any meats cut up into very fine strips no longer than a matchstick so it cooks fast.Like pussy01 said, it helps to have some fresh greens on the side as the meats are quite rich.Even a tomato/cucumber/red onion salad would be good. Or, thickly slice tomatoes and sprinkle with a little sugar and chopped fresh basil leaves (tastes fresh and amazing).

neil_di, Jul 3, 8:53am
must have tender meat.beef/pork fillet/lamb backstrap/rich mushroom sauce a must .if you have the likes of oysters then these have to be a finale with appropriate accompaniments.they spit like mad!.of course salads to lighten the meal and a wee choc fondue to finish.this was our fav entertaining way in the early 70's and always heaps of fun.chucked out our fondue pot 10 yrs ago but think will buy another v retro .have a great time cheers Di

vim420, Jul 3, 12:19pm
Never done an oil fondue, but could you fry some crumbed cheeses in it!

duckmoon, Jul 3, 12:34pm
I have done three course of foundue night

Cheese, with bread and veges

Meat, with oil to cook with

And the third course of Chocolate

evorotorua, Jul 3, 5:53pm
With an oil fondue, you can fry your own fresh donuts. Make a yeast bread dough and roll into little balls. Deep fry and dunk into a sugar cinnamon mix.

viv130, Jul 3, 8:29pm
Thanks so much all, it has got the ball rolling.

dezzie, Jul 3, 9:13pm
One of the best fondue desserts I've had, was cubes of fresh pineapple that had been soaked in rum for a good while, stab them, roll in a handy bowl of brown sugar, then flame them over the open flame until the sugar caramelises, then a quick dunk into some whipped cream and yummmmy!

daleaway, Jul 4, 12:06am
We used to fondue prawns in a ginger batter.