How do you make paneer?

dibble35, May 22, 3:33am
Didan eveningIndian cooking class - just the basics, rogan josh, butter chicken etc, was going to do the paneer making class the next term but the tutor got herself a fulltime job and stopped taking the classes. Anyone have a good recipe for making paneer as the store bought stuff is horrendesly expensive up here, TIA

_maidennz_, May 22, 4:55am
Just you tube it. You only need whole milk and lemon juice and some muslin or chesecloth etc to drain it.

Heat 2L milk to about 90-95 deg. Pour in the juice of one or two lemons (amount will vary) and watch it curdle before your eyes. Turn off heat and gently put curds into a cloth lined colander to drain. Can be put between 2 boards with a weight ontop to press more quickly. Can be frozen up to 2 months if cubed.

dibble35, May 22, 5:52am
Thankyou, sounds to easy.
Just watched a video and got step by step directions - it is super easy. One comment cracked me up as rather gross"If cheese cloth is not available, use a cloth diaper (nappy) instead."

francisfrancis, May 23, 5:03am
sometimes its hard to get it t a solid stage.it can crumble in gravies.easier to buy it.try a local indian shop and look for "gopala" brand paneer!

dibble35, May 23, 7:23am
I'm in Whangarei and we dont have an indian shop unfortunatly, in supermarkets its around $7 a small pack - and refuse to pay that, am planning a trip to Auckland soon to visit Moshims Indian shop one of them anyway so will buy some then.

mwood, May 23, 9:35pm
Heat 2 litres of milk for 15 (yes 15) minutes on the microwave then add 2 tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice - stir let cool and drain.through a tea towel over a sieve.

pkv, May 23, 10:02pm
I make my paneer all the time!
Bring to the boil 2 -3 litre of full cream milk (this is the best to use, can also add 1/2 pottle of cream to make the paneer richer). Stir occasionally to ensure the milk does not burn at the bottom. I add 2 teaspoons of salt to the milk too for more flavor. Add approx 2 tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice till the milk splits, then pour into a colander lined with cheesecloth. Press with a weight till cheese is flat in the cloth. I just fill the pot that i used with water and press down on the cheese and then leave it for about 15 minutes with the pot on.

dibble35, May 23, 10:28pm
thanks for all the support/recipes, will go buy some silvertopmilk today and make some for tonights dinner.

gdwitch, May 26, 11:17am
I would be interested in your recipes from your indian cooking class.Would love to try something different for dinner.Would you mind sharing.Thanks

dibble35, May 27, 6:39am
Will start with the classic butter chicken. Its my favorite of the dishs we learned. if you want more let me know and will add them as/when i have time. should be workig on a project but am procrastinating. Marinat chicken in the following for 1-12 hours. These quantities are for 250gms chicken which will feed 2 people with plenty of rice, chapattis etc.
5 Tblspn plain unsweetened yoghurt
1/2 tspn salt, 1tsp ginger paste, 1tspn garlic paste, 1/2 tspn tumeric, 1/2 tspn cumin powder, 1 tspn corriander powder
2 drops red food colouring, 1tspn paprika, 1/4tspn chilli powder(more or less) this makes it quite mild. 1 tspn oil, combine.
Grill the chicken till browning and marinade is mostly evaporated. put some oil In a hot pan, add cooked chicken and 1Tblspn tomato paste,(if doubling the recipe dont double the tom paste, to much tom pastecan make the curry sour.
Just before serving add 150ml cream, 1/2 tspn sugar, stir in well, reduce heat. dont overcook/heat at this stage as cream can seperate and curry will become very oily. garnish with corriander leaves, serve with Rotis, rice etc. Doesnt reheat well (seperates if microwaved to long) but is so yummy there wont be any left overs :-)

dibble35, May 27, 6:42am
I made the paneer and it worked well. made a dish called Palak paneer from a food.com website, turned out very very similar to the one from the local Indian restaurant.

craig04, May 27, 8:52am
Ooooooh, Palak Paneer is my fave Indian dish!

dibble35, May 28, 3:39am
It is lovely but its a visually unappealing dish. colour and consistency of cow poo.

ruby19, May 28, 5:00am
Dibble when you have a chance could you post the recipe for the palak paneer, thx :-)

craig04, May 28, 5:41am
LOL, that could actually be said of many Indian curry dishes IMO - won't stop me eating them though

dibble35, May 28, 7:05pm
Hey ruby, heres the website address where I got the recipe i used.
http://www.food.com/recipe/palak-paneer-indian-fresh-spinach-with-paneer-cheese-25348

gdwitch, May 30, 4:53am
Thanks dibble35 for the butter chicken recipe; will try this week.Would welcome more recipes when you have time.