Maori Kai

tommi2, Apr 11, 10:58pm
x1
Had a dish at the weekend made with seaweed, it had been cooked in butter(i think and had pieces of bacon in it, was absolutely devine and wondering if anyone hear knows the name of it(was told but have forgotten)and also how to cook it? ? I know you have to use the seaweed that grows on the rocks. TIA

tommi2, Apr 11, 11:05pm
ok have found the name, it is called Karengo. Would still like to know how to make it? ?

packergirl, Apr 11, 11:13pm
yes please tommi

wahinetoa62, Apr 11, 11:54pm
you can buy karengo at www.pacificharvest.co.nz there are also recipes there...

tommi2, Apr 12, 12:26am
thanks wahine :)

tommi2, Apr 12, 1:43am
Have been given a recipe by a poster in general. Thanks all

uli, Apr 12, 9:42am
Could you post it here for us?

elliehen, Apr 12, 10:27am
http://www.teara. govt.nz/en/seaweed/4/1

uli, Apr 12, 9:57pm
Thanks elliehen - I know how it looks like - in fact I have it at home - together with two other (coarser) seaweeds - as I like it in salads and soups.

I was more interested in tommi2's "recipe".

I personally just add it to whatever I am cooking anyway - so a "special" recipe for it would be nice.

purplegoanna, Apr 12, 10:01pm
its out of a maori cookbook of mine uli,
PARENGO, KARENGO OR MAKAUE Parengo is the name given to seaweeds of the genus porhyra that grows in silky reddish/purpleish sheets between the tidemarks. It is closley related to Nori (japan) or Laver (britain) and is a east coast maori delicacy The seaweed is gathered from july-sept at low tide & is sun dried by hanging, when dry shake to rid the sand. To cook take a handful of dried seaweed & steam for 1hr, add 2-3cups stock & 1tbsp butter OR gather young shoots wash & crush into 2-3c water, when water is boiling add salt a tbsp butter and boil for 20-30mins, drain & serve like cabbage, corned beef or rashers of bacon maybe added.

uli, Apr 12, 10:19pm
Thanks purplegoanna!

So the "recipe" is basically:
"resurrect" the dried seaweed, add stock and butter.
add some bacon for "variety".

Thanks again for looking it up.

tommi2, Apr 12, 11:04pm
sorry uli, just got here but yes, purplegoanna was the poster that gave me the recipe. The Karengo i had, had the bacon in it and it was absolutely devine, can't wait to have it again now. It was also cooked in a roasting pan in the oven, the lady just put heaps of butter and salt and bacon in it and put it in the oven for about 30mins i think

uli, Jan 24, 11:02am
Thanks tommi2 - haven't found it fresh around here - so have it dried normally - and so have to "reconstitute it" first before light cooking. often I just add it to salads dry and it re-constitutes itself with the salad dressing and the tomato juice etc.