How to get labels off bottles for preserving

wkipp, Mar 11, 12:36am
Hi,
i am busy preserving at the moment. I am soaking them and scraping off the label. But then I am left with gum.I have been using good ole' elbow grease, but is there another way! Any ideas or hints from those experience cooks out there!

karenz, Mar 11, 12:39am
Eucalyptus oil or T tree oil works well. Just rub a little bit in and scrape off with a knife.

beaker59, Mar 11, 12:53am
There are several types of adhesives used for labelling but mostly they will be acrylic or hot melt pressure sensitives these can all pretty much be cleaned off with white spirits or similar even petrol will do it just make sure you wash the jar well afterwards.Wear gloves do it outside and no smoking etc.

dbab, Mar 11, 1:22am
Desolvit.
You can buy it from the Supermarket.

lilyfield, Mar 11, 1:25am
Desolvit.
its very expensive. I use a stainless steel pot scrubber and chemico after soaking the jars in hot water

ashlin1, Mar 11, 1:57am
Rub with a cotton ball dipped in nail polish remover. The stuff with acetone in it works better.

245sam, Mar 11, 1:59am
On glass jars I use what my late Dad recommended 25 or more years agoi.e. after soaking the actual label off I give the glue area a gentle rub with a steelo pad - it works well.:-))

horizons_, Mar 11, 2:05am
I know what you mean. If the label doesn't come off with aoaking it does leave a residue that is difficult to budge. A right royal pita imho. I've tried all the above (except desolve it) and found none very satisfactory. I use CRC now.

wasgonna, Mar 11, 2:24am
Just stick a new label over the top of the old one . maybe.

I like things to be simple like me.

pickles7, Mar 11, 2:47am
Try hand cream, odd as it sounds It has worked for me on wine labels. remove the outer label first then use a Goldilocks and hand cream.

wkipp, Mar 11, 4:30am
Thank you all for that. The old elbow grease or pot scrub just spread it. Off to try those now

fifie, Mar 11, 4:46am
Done heaps of jars by soaking in good hot soapy water, take off as much label as you can with a knife,pour some cooking oil into palm of your hand rub over the glu residue thats on jar, take a wire pot scrub with little chemico on it rub hard re wash and rinse and your good to go with nice clean sparkly jars.

cookessentials, Mar 11, 4:47am
I soak in hot soapy water and they come off easily. Any sticky residue comes off by rubbing your fingers over it, under the soapy water. Rinse well in hot water.

makespacenow, Mar 11, 5:39am
Some come off in the oven.while you sterilise them.really depends on the har/label.what glue they used.

jag5, Mar 11, 6:58am
Soak in hot soapy water.scrape off as much as you can.then scrub with a steelo.easy as.

craig04, Mar 11, 6:58am
Turps works fine too - just give them another good wash afterwards!

davidt4, Mar 11, 8:32am
Most labels come off after a soak in hot water.Those that don't will succumb to eucalyptus oil - pour it into a saucer, roll the label around to cover in the oil, leave it a couple of minutes then you can scrub the label off easily.

glenn-ellyn, Mar 11, 8:37am
Turps or kerosene works for me.Take outside and pour stuff onto paper towell and rub glue stuff off. Rinse and wash in dishwasher.

skarlotte, Mar 11, 8:48pm
You could try filling the jar with boiling water and leaving it for a few minutes. more often than not the label will peel off cleanly. it seems as though the heat 'melts' the glue that the label is stuck on with.