GRRRRR - why!!!!

cookiemonster27, Apr 9, 9:02pm
can someone please help me... ... . .

I have just made a batch of yummy choc chip cookies - but every time I make them, they always go flippn FLAT! ! ! ! !

my very first batch came out just perfect, so I thought, great finally found a recipe that works and tastes yummy! and I make them the same way I first did but now every batch just ends up like flat frizzbies... ...

they have
1/2 cup each of brown and white sugar
1 t baking soda
1 egg
1 1/4 of flour

really easy - but what am I doing wrong?

cookessentials, Apr 9, 9:03pm
no butter?

cookiemonster27, Apr 9, 9:05pm
woops yes 75grms

cookessentials, Apr 9, 9:08pm
250g butter
3/4 cup White Sugar
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp water
2 eggs
3 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
350g chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 180°C. Cream the butter and bothSugars. Beat in essence and water and then beat in eggs, one at a time. Sift the flour and baking soda. Stir in chocolate chips. Roll into balls and flatten slightly with fork, place on prepared trays and bake for 10-12 mins, or until slightly brown. Remove and cool on wire racks.

cookiemonster27, Apr 9, 9:13pm
I must try this one, I have tried alsorts and they either turn out tedious or just yuk! - someone once told me to use the edmonds recipe that has the condensed milk - but they just turned out hard as rocks... .

neil_di, Apr 9, 9:27pm
1/3 less sugar and 1/3 less flour for Edmonds recipe and they will be perfectly light and crisp. . have made heaps like this v. successful ! !

buzzy110, Apr 9, 10:18pm
Umm. Could it be you are not creaming your butter properly before slowly adding the sugar and ensuring the sugar is completely 'dissolved' in the butter.

This is one of the reasons I hate creamed butter and sugar recipes because even though I am very successful at them they do take rather a lot of effort.

If you don't cream and add the sugar properly your biscuits will not hold their shape, but instead, will sort of spread and flatten.

barloo, Apr 9, 10:33pm
creaming is easy if you have an electric egg beater! !

Needs to go and get another as me last one died of over use! ! sigh

rainrain1, Apr 9, 10:43pm
Here you go:-)

Jills choc Chip Biscuits
1/4 ib butter
3oz brown sugar
4oz flour (add more if necessary)
1tsp BP
1/2 to 3/4 cup choc chips

Usual method, mod oven

elliehen, Apr 10, 1:13am
Did you put the second batch on to a cold tray? If you don't have a second cold tray waiting, run the tray under cold water between batches.

glendeb, Apr 10, 11:16pm
I don't flatten mine at all, just leave them as balls, then they are yummy, rounded and not flat at all!

I also cream the butter and sugar for ages

nanberrie, Apr 11, 4:32am
We use very successfully... . .
75gm butter
1/2 soft brown sugar
1/2 white sugar
1 egg
1/2 C chocolate chips
1 1/4 C self-raising flour

melt butter, add both sugars and egg, mix well, add chocolate chips and then flour, mix well but gently.
Roll into walnut size balls, place on greased tray, slightly flatten with fork and bake 10 minutes so they are slightly undercooked - just pale golden... ... yummy and sticky ! ! !

very good doubled too

chooky, Apr 11, 7:29am
I have been making this recipe for years and they are yummy, excellent freezer.
Chocolate Chip Biscuits.
125g butter
1 egg
1/2 vanilla
100g chocolate chips
1 3/4 cups of flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder.
Preheat oven to 180. c, Melt butter in a saucepan or microwave oven, cool slightly. Using a hand beater (I have always used my cake mixer) beat together sugar and egg until thick and pale in colour. Stir in melted butter, mix well. Stir in vanilla, and chocolate chips. Lastly, stir in flour and baking powder.
Take tsp lots of the mixture and roll into balls. Place 3-4cm apart on baking tray. Flatten with fork. Bake for 15mins, until golden brown in colour. Makes 28 biscuits.

antoniab, Apr 11, 8:08am
Try putting the mixture in the fridge for at least half an hour before baking then scoop out when cold. Works for me :)

rainrain1, Apr 11, 10:53pm
Sorry. . there is also 1tsp golden syrup in this recipe

beagle12, Jan 21, 5:54pm
Sounds like the mix is too soft? When I make my choc chip biscuits I end up using the k beater on my mixer.